Swans bow out of Floodlit Cup after contested Worcester battle


Slimbridge were edged out of the Wiseman Lighting Floodlit Cup following their tightly contested 2-0 defeat to Worcester City at Thornhill Park on Tuesday, writes Sam Yapp.

Worcester picked up where they left off after Saturday’s 4-0 win at Thornhill Park, taking the lead inside three minutes when Taylor Townsend cut a cross back to Elliott Hartley who passed it home from close range.

Then, with his 20th goal of the season, Jamie Insall booked Worcester’s spot in the semi-finals when he pounced on a loose ball to fire into the roof of the net 10 minutes from time.

Worcester extended their impressive winning streak to eight games and their overall unbeaten run to 16 games.

The Swans suffered successive defeats for the first time in January and are without a goal in over 180 minutes of football.

It was an electric start from the visitors and Townsend in particular who could have added a goal to his assist when he curled an effort from 18-yards around the far post on six minutes.

Townsend’s pressure was too much for the Swans early doors and two minutes later he flashed an effort past the post from distance after winning possession from some sloppy Swans play.

But the Swans grew into the half and almost had the game level when Sam Blackie dragged a shot from inside the area wide before Rudi McKinnon met a loose ball but saw his effort well saved by Joe Stockton.

Six minutes later, Worcester almost secured goal of the tournament when, after a couple of juggles, Kyonn Evans set-up an onrushing Kyle Belmonte who volleyed just wide from 20-yards.

Visit https://www.facebook.com/mortgageadvicegloucestershire for your financial planning needs

The Swans made it to the break well in the game and came agonisingly close to drawing level on 53 minutes when Harrison Reeves drove forward to slot an effort past Stockton only to see it come back off the post.

And if that wasn’t agonising enough, the Swans had two late chances to grab something from the game but struck the crossbar twice in the space of 60 seconds.

Nathan Dennis rose highest to meet a Marley Thomas cross but thundered a header against the bar before Will Hawes flicked a header towards the back post but turned to see it cannon back off the bar.

It’s a quick turnaround for both sides as Slimbridge will look to get back to winning ways when they travel to Thornbury Town and Worcester City hunt for top spot continues when they host Lydney Town on Saturday.

Slimbridge: Parker (GK), Thomas, Coker (58’), Hands, Hitchings, Mara, McKinnon, Blackie, Neill (83’), Smith (65’), Reeves (83’)

Subs: Holder (GK), Clayson (65’), Turner (58’), Hawes (83’), Dennis (83’)

Worcester City: Stockton (GK), Stoddart, Mace, Monteith (45+3’), Layton, Sheehan, Townsend (65’), Lymn, Evans (58’), Belmonte, Hartley (83’)

Subs: Reid (65’), Batchelor (83’), Insall (58’), Lockett (45+3’), Keighley

C Martin Roofing Man of the Match – Charlie Hitchings (Slimbridge)

READ MORE: Check out this Saturday’s fixtures in and around Gloucestershire right here

READ MORE: Check out this Sunday’s Women’s fixtures in and around Gloucestershire right here

Cover photo taken by and copyright to Brian Rossiter. Check out his Flickr account for all of his pictures by clicking here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *