Longlevens 5ths win Bill Bick Cup after Pocock’s penalty heroics


Gary Pocock saved two as Longlevens 5ths secured a cup double, winning the Stroud League’s Bill Bick Cup on penalties, following a 2-2 draw with AFC Renegades.

For the second time in as many nights, a Stroud League final went to penalties after an injury time equaliser as Renegades fought from 2-0 down to keep themselves in the contest.

Headers from Lee Wood and Chey Thornton had Longlevens two goals to the good with half an hour left, but after Harry Ingham’s header reduced arrears, Bailey Townsend fired home in the 93rd minute.

But after Longlevens’ Keith Hall had his penalty saved, George Ingham dragged his wide and that was as close as Renegades got to a lead in the game.

Pocock went on to save from Dan Creed and Ashley Streeter to see his side add to their County Cup win in April in what has been a wonderful season for the Levens 5th side.

Visit https://www.facebook.com/mortgageadvicegloucestershire for your financial planning needs

The game itself saw both sides cancel each other out in the early going. Sharpness’ Hamfields pitch was in perfect condition as both teams looked to play their football.

Renegades had the first real chance and it should have been a goal, as Dan Creed swept straight at Pocock from the middle of the goal following a counter attack.

Moments later, Longlevens should have taken the lead themselves. Keith Hall stood up a cross from the right and Lee Wood got his header completely wrong and sent it wide from about 5 yards.

Wood was then denied from another header, as Renegades keeper Ryan Levett did well to hold on.

But Wood’s third headed attempt of the first half saw the deadlock broken. Wood made a run at the near post to glance a corner past Levett and his side were in front at the break.

Ten minutes into the second half and Longlevens recreated the goal to great effect, although this time it was Chey Thornton who got across at the near post, but it was a carbon copy of Wood’s goal.

Renegades needed a goal and as Longlevens tired slightly, Harry Ingham headed home George Ingham’s cross to give his side 20 minutes to find an equaliser.

Rich Bridges had a great chance to level, but sent his header straight at Pocock, before Harry Ingham fired wide in the final ten minutes.

Just when time looked to be running out for Renegades, an injury time free kick was floated into the box and punched down to Townsend who made no mistake from about eight yards.

Tom Shaw and Towsend exchanged converted penalties, before Hall and George Ingham’s misses.

Andy Trout and Lee Rutter scored their efforts for Levens, with Pocock’s saves securing the win.

The Bill Bick Cup was the last of the Stroud League cup finals, with six action packed ties. Severn Sport were fortunate enough to attend four of the six – including the three that went to penalties!

For Longlevens, they end on a positive note. As Meatloaf once said “two out of three ain’t bad.”

AFC Renegades: R Levett, J Gibbons, Waldon, Streeter, H Ingham, Lewis, A Gibbons, L Levett, Creed, Bridges, G Ingham

Subs: Morgan, Williams, Bennett, Moore, Townsend

Longlevens 5ths: Pocock, Hall, Webb, Workman, Lewis, English, Thompson, Gardiner, Wood, Poole, Thornton

Subs: Hemming, Trout, Shaw, Mcdonald, Rutter

C Martin Roofing Man of the Match – Chey Thornton (Longlevens 5ths)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *