City let two goal lead slip in frustrating draw with Southport


Two goals in the final 10 minutes saw Gloucester City held to a 2-2 draw by relegation rivals, Southport.

Elliott Durrell’s 78th minute stunner had put Mike Cook’s side two goals to the good following Ben Beresford’s opener; but efforts from Richie Bennett and Tyler Walton saw the points shared.

The draw sees Gloucester sit 22nd place in the National League North table, still seven points from Southport and safety.

On a frustrating afternoon that saw Rushall Olympic and Darlington both grad crucial wins, City also lost Harry Pinchard to injury, Danny Wright only lasted 45 minutes and goalkeeper, Zach Jeacock, impacted by a knock he picked up in the second half.

The Tigers went into the game in search of their first win since before Christmas and played out a nervy opening.

Then, Ben Beresford flicked on for Danny Wright, but he was denied in the one on one by Southport keeper, Chris Renshaw.

Wright was putting himself about the place in the first half and after he forced an error in the box on 20 minutes, Wright laid the ball into Beresford’s path and he made no mistake.

Renshaw saved easily enough from Wright’s header moments later as City looked to take complete control.

On the half hour mark, Alefe Santos curled just wide before Southport skipper David Morgan also fired off target.

Just before the break, Jeacock produced his first save of the day, tipping over Harry Flowers’ header from a corner.

Visit for your financial planning needs

The second saw City losing a lot of impetus on the game due to Danny Wright being replaced by Joe Parker.

Following the game the rumours are that Wright had been under the weather all week and couldn’t continue.

Jeacock went down after a collision in the air, but following treatment was able to make a number of good stops to keep his side in front.

First, Jeacock palmed over again, this time from a free kick into the box – before saving at the back post from yet another Southport header.

And it looked like Jeacock’s heroics would be enough when Elliott Durrell, who replaced the injured Harry Pinchard, smashed home from 25 yards with just over ten minutes on the clock.

But it wasn’t to be for the stopper, after Richie Bennett bundled home following a blocked shot on 82 minutes.

Then, Jeacock could do nothing to keep out the equaliser, as Tyler Walton headed home from Jack Doyle’s cross.

Next up for Gloucester is a trip to Chester, before a crucial home game against Blyth Spartans the following weekend.

Gloucester City: Jeacock, Leeson, Ram, Richards-Everton, Emmett, McGrory, Hanks, Pinchard, Santos, Wright, Beresford

Subs: Richards, Parker, Smalley, Sloane, Durrell

Southport: Renshaw, Thomson, Doyle, Flowers, Morgan, Carver, Walton, Hmami, Holmes, Squires, Philliskirk

Subs: McMillan, Quansan, Burbridge, Burgess, Bennett

C Martin Roofing Man of the Match – Zach Jeacock (Gloucester City)

READ MORE: Check out the results in and around Gloucestershire this Saturday right here

Cover photo taken by and copyright to Neil Phelps. Check out his Flickr account for all of his Gloucester City pictures by clicking here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *