A late header from Danny Wright helped Gloucester City secure three points against Peterborough Sports at the TigerTurf Stadium on Tuesday night, writes Jake Williams.

Gloucester came into this one following a 5-3 defeat in the FA Trophy against National League South outfit Chippenham. The Turbines, however, were victorious in their trophy clash, defeating National League side Dagenham and Redbridge on penalties after the game ended 1-1.

The first effort on goal came just before the 10 minute mark, as Liam Cross beat his defender but saw his shot saved by an onrushing Peter Crook in the Peterborough Sports goal.

Almost immediately after, the hosts had an even better chance to take an early lead, but Ben Beresford’s low effort was well denied by Crook.

In the 21st minute, The Turbines had their first dangerous attack. Dion Sembie-Ferris’ cross couldn’t quite be controlled but the ball ended up falling to Kaine Felix, who took a touch and blasted over the bar.

27 minutes, Harry Emmett did brilliantly to turn away from two defenders before getting a shot away from the edge of the area, but it was comfortable in the end for Cook.

After a quiet period, Gloucester City took the lead four minutes before the break. Zach Jeacock’s clearance from his own box caused all sorts of problems for the Turbines’ defence, with the ball eventually coming to Brandon Smalley who lobbed the keeper and found the back of the net.

The Tigers held out for the remaining few minutes and went into half-time a goal to the good.

Visit https://www.facebook.com/mortgageadvicegloucestershire for your financial planning needs

It was Peterborough Sports that were stronger after the restart, with Matthew Tootle getting forward on the right-hand side and having a couple of attempts that went wide of the target.

On the hour mark, Gloucester had a golden opportunity to double their lead. A cross from Alefe Santos was met by Emmett at the back post, but his header went over the bar from close range.

Sembie-Ferris had a chance to bring his side level with 25 minutes to play, but Jeacock saved at his near post.

However, just a minute later, the visitors were given a penalty after Ben Fowkes was brought down in the area. Captain Dan Lawlor stepped up and made no mistake from the spot, converting emphatically.

The next 20 minutes saw no real threat to either goal,  but it was Gloucester that seemed to be the more likely to grab a winner.

With three minutes to play, the hosts did just that and re-took the lead. A great cross by Louis McGrory was met by substitute Danny Wright, who connected well with his head and found the bottom corner.

In the first of six additional minutes, Sports should have scored. Jeacock couldn’t keep hold of the Michael Gash header and parried straight into the path of Josh McCammon, who skied it over from a few yards out.

They continued to push for an equaliser, and again almost got it, but Jeacock did fantastically to get down and tip Sembie-Ferris’ low shot wide.

Gloucester managed to hold out for the remaining couple of minutes, and picked up a huge three points.

Next up for the Tigers is Darliington, who travel to the TigerTurf on Saturday in the National League North.

Gloucester City: Jeacock, Ram, Reckford, Cross, Pinchard, Hanks, Richards-Everton, Lesson, Emmett, Smalley, Beresford

Subs: Parker, Wright, McGrory, Santos, Smile

Peterborough Sports: Crook, Cann, Tootle, Johnson, Lawlor, Maccammon, Fox, Meyer, Ferris, Felix, Gallagher

Subs: Niholson, Gash, Alban-Jones, Periera, Fowkes

C Martin Roofing Man of the Match – Harry Pinchard (Gloucester City)

READ MORE: Check out the fixtures in and around Gloucestershire this Saturday right here

READ MORE: Check out the Women’s fixtures in and around Gloucestershire this Sunday right here

Cover photo taken with copyright by Neil Phelps. To view his Gloucester City photo albums on Flickr click here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *