Cinderford keep up play-off hopes whilst denting Corsham’s title challenge


A goalless draw between Cinderford Town and Corsham Town saw the Foresters move to within a point of the play-off spots, whilst giving Corsham a mountain to climb in the title race.

The two sides headed to Gloucester City’s TigerTurf Stadium for a late kick off, knowing that defeat would be disastrous for their relevant ambitions and whilst the full time whistle was met with Cinderford cheers, Corsham knew that they are now destined for the play-offs themselves.

Both sides created chances, with Ben Watkins’ late effort the best for Cinderford, which was well saved by Corsham keeper, Alfie Kelsey, whilst Dean Griffiths was kept out by Lewis Adams in the visitors’ best chance of the game.

The result leaves Corsham just one point behind league leaders, Worcester City, but have played five games more than their rivals.

For Cinderford, they remain in 7th place, but move to just one point from the play-off places, with two games in hand over Slimbridge, who occupy the final play-off space.

Matty Driscoll’s side still have some tough fixtures left, including games against Royal Wootton Bassett Town and Worcester City, as well as an away game at Highworth Town.

It may come down to a straight shoot-out between the Foresters and the Swans, with the possibility of the side who does better in remaining games against Royal Wootton Bassett Town, could extend their season.

Visit for your financial planning needs

Corsham nearly took the lead early on, with former Bishops Cleeve man George Box finding space in behind, but was kept out by Lewis Adams.

Moments later, Mike Symons had Cinderford’s first chance, but fired wide from 18 yards.

The first half saw Corsham players and bench warned for constant complaining towards the officials, with keeper Kelsey sin binned after disputing a missed offside call.

But as the half wore on, both sides exchanged chances in a fairly open contest. Blaine Waugh headed wide for the Foresters, before Owen Humphries sent an effort over, just after the half an hour mark.

Dean Griffiths rolled his man and was free in the area, just before half time, but after opening his body up, saw his effort well saved by the on-rushing Adams.

Cinderford started the second half brightly, with Ethan Hayes volleying over and Dale Evans having a free kick beaten away by Kelsey.

Evans had another free kick saved, with just under 20 minutes left on the clock, before Griffiths fired over for the visitors.

George Box would have Corsham’s best chance of the closing stages, but blazed over from the middle of the area.

Watkins nearly won it for Cinderford late on, but his curling effort was palmed away for a corner by the diving Kelsey.

In the end the draw was about right, with neither side really doing enough to fully deserve the three points. Two very defences on display left clear cut chances at a premium throughout.

Next up for Cinderford is a County Cup tie against Cheltenham Saracens on Tuesday night, before hosting Mangotsfield United 48 hours later. The same night, Corsham head to Highworth in another crucial game.

Cinderford Town: Adams, Jones, Heffernen, Vine, Barnard, Evans, Hayes, Watkins, Symons, Hillier, Waugh

Subs: Davies, Cape-O’Reilly, Merry, Franklin, Binns

Corsham Town: Kelsey, Hallett, Greenland, Box, Cooper, Mundy, Humphries, Davis, Milne, Jones, Griffiths

Subs: Evans, Simpson, Baggs, Lyons, Hill

C Martin Roofing Man of the Match – Ryan Hillier & Mike Symons (Cinderford Town)

READ MORE: Check out the full list of results in and around Gloucestershire from Good Friday and Easter Saturday right here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *