Beardsell at the double as Longlevens claim crucial three points


Jack Beardsell scored two as Longlevens came from behind to claim a crucial 4-2 victory, at Hereford Lads Club on Saturday afternoon.

After a wet and even snowy Friday night into Saturday morning, the game was one of the three Hellenic Premier games played, with both sides starting slightly nervously in a bottom end of the table clash.

But after trailing at the break to a first half effort from Sam Griffiths, Longlevens would level inside the only 40 seconds of the second half – with Fin Clift finishing well after a fantastic through ball from Luke Kavanagh.

Beardsell stepped up to score his first of the day, as he dispatched a penalty six minutes later.

Substitute Josh Timbrell was then picked out by Callum McLean to score his first goal for the club, with 25 minutes left on the clock.

Adam Hockey’s thunderbolt from distance looked to have set up a nervy finish, but Beardsell would force an injury time effort over the line to clinch all three points for the Gloucester-side.

The result moves Longlevens above Lads Club into 15th place in the Hellenic Premier table, but they also move 20 points clear of bottom placed Wantage Town – who have ten games left of their campaign, including fixtures home and away against Longlevens.

Visit for your financial planning needs

Lads Club took the lead after 14 minutes, with Callum McLean’s misplaced pass punished by Sam Griffiths – who fired past Anton Ranken from just inside the box.

Jack Beardsell kept a ball into the box alive, but James Barnett couldn’t quite force his effort home at the keeper’s near post.

Josh Barlow had a hattrick of chances just before the half an hour mark, but all three efforts were saved by Ross Grimshaw.

Beardsell would have the best chance of the first half though, but he sent a free header wide from close range.

After Griffiths and Tom Dawson went close to doubling the hosts’ lead before half time, Longlevens struck inside the opening minute of the restart.

The goal came as Luke Kavanagh threaded through a great pass into Fin Clift, and the forward neatly dispatched past the on-rushing Grimshaw.

Six minutes later, Harrison Iddles flicked the ball into the box and after shouts for handball, a penalty was given.

Beardsell stepped up to blast his side in front for the first time.

Longlevens were brilliant in the second half and substitute Josh Timbrell would extend the lead, on 65 minutes.

Callum McLean was afforded time on the half way line and his clipped ball up to Timbrell saw the midfielder take the ball down and drill an effort in off the far post.

Michael Palmer gave first team debuts to Charlie Wilkes, Jacob Chamberlain, Luke Twyning and U18s Captain, Alex Knight – with all four having impressed during the season for the Reserve side in the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League.

But the youngsters looked set for a grandstand finish when Adam Hockey’s near 30-yard effort flew into the top corner to reduce the deficit.

However Beardsell would have the final say, after a corner kick fell to him inside the six yard box. Beardsell flicked the effort off the underside of the bar, with the assistant referee signalling that the ball had crossed the line.

Longlevens celebrated at full time, knowing that the win will breed confidence in the side ahead, ahead of another crucial away game on Tuesday night – when they head to Wantage Town.

Hereford Lads Club: Grimshaw, Guinane, Hunt, McCormack, Plane, Cuthbertson, Ellis, Dawson, Thomas, Powell, Griffiths

Subs: Thompson, Rose, Hockey, Marsh, Allport

Longlevens: Ranken, Kavanagh, Barnett, Long, McLean, Barlow, Aldridge, Iddles, Beardsell, Clift, Emmett

Subs: Knight, Chamberlain, Twyning, Wilkes, Timbrell

C Martin Roofing Man of the Match – Luke Kavanagh (Longlevens)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *