Abbeymead Rovers complete cup double with Chairman’s Cup win over Longlevens 3rds


Three goals in six second half minutes helped Abbeymead Rovers secure the second leg of a cup double, as they beat Longlevens 3rds in the Stroud League Chairman’s Cup final, on Tuesday night.

After a goalless first hour, Nathan Jones’ long range screamer broke the deadlock, before Xander Jones and Montell Smith saw Abbeymead race to a 3-0 lead with just under twenty minutes to go.

Jay Jay Lovesey pulled one back for Levens, before Gareth Davies responded with a penalty two minutes later.

Ollie Morrissey flicked on a Lovesey free kick to close the gap to two goals, but Rovers held on to lift the cup in front a decent crowd at Shortwood United’s Meadowbank.

Abbeymead add the Chairman’s Cup to their GFA Intermediate (North) Cup they won in April, after finishing just outside the top two of Stroud League Division Two.

The game started frantic, with Abbeymead responding well to vocal support they had in the pitch side stand.

Jaxon Hylton had the best chance of the opening 45 minutes, as he was found in space on the left side of the box, but saw his effort saved by Fin Sutcliffe.

Xander Jones also got in space down the left side of the box for Rovers, but slashed high and wide.

The best that Longlevens were able to manage was a Luke Troke corner that was clawed out of the back post by Ben Perrins – but despite a lack of chances, they were still playing well.

Visit for your financial planning needs

Jack Cornell had a great chance just after the restart, but saw his effort blocked well in the one on one by Perrins, before Niall Priday skied an effort after Perrins patted down an Ollie Morrissey free kick.

Priday weaved his way to the edge of the box before firing straight at Perrins, as Longlevens enjoyed their best spell of the half.

Perrins produced the save of the night just before the hour mark to tip Cornell’s onto the crossbar.

And from there Abbeymead grew into the half and took the lead when centre half Nathan Jones pinged in an effort from 30+ yards to ignite his side back into life.

The game had barely settled before Xander Jones charged into the box and slotted past the on-rushing Sutcliffe.

Two minutes later, substitute Montell Smith shook off a defender in the box and planted an effort into the bottom corner.

Jay Jay Lovesey came off the bench for his side and instantly reduced arrears, as he was slipped in down the left side of the box and his effort slipped through Perrins at his near post.

But any hopes of a Longlevens comeback were dashed when Sutcliffe dwelled on the ball and brought down an Abbeymead forward, allowing Mead skipper, Gareth Davies the chance to restore his side’s three goal lead – which he duly obliged.

Lovesey whipped a free kick in from the right, which Ollie Morrissey flicked on past Perrins – but with only four minutes left of normal time, a dramatic comeback never looked like materialising.

The full time whistle saw the Abbeymead fans serenade manager, Gary Mabbett, as the celebrations began.

The final two Stroud League cup finals take place this week, with the Presidents Cup between Painswick and Chalford Reserves taking place on Thursday 9 May (at Shortwood), before AFC Renegades and Longlevens 5ths face off for the Bill Bick Cup on Friday 10 May (at Sharpness).

You can follow both games on Severn Sport’s Twitter, @SevernSport

Longlevens 3rds: Sutcliffe, Adams, Simpson, Croose, Troke, Drew, Morrissey, Fishley, Hill, Priday, Cornell

Subs: Lovesey, Beer, Cook, Richardson, Twyning

Abbeymead Rovers: Perrins, Lee, Weightman, N Jones, Ryland, Davies, Hylton, Powell, Hamlett, K Smith, X Jones

Subs: Webb, Bath, Taylor, M Smith, Halls

C Martin Roofing Man of the Match – Nathan Jones (Abbeymead Rovers)

Cover photo taken by and copyright to Brian Rossiter. Check out his Flickr account for all of his pictures by clicking here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *