Jeremiah at the double as Gloucester City U21s grind out win

Joe Jeremiah scored two as Gloucester City U21s were made to grind out a 3-1 win over Hampton U21s at Meadow Park on Saturday morning.

It was a very uncharacteristically poor first half from the Young Tigers and the longer the half went on the intense the half time team talk from Manager Craig Robinson felt like it was going to be.

The opening ten minutes or so saw both sides trying to settle into the contest, with Kian Gardiner having a half chance for the hosts and Saha Amir having a strike fly over the City crossbar.

City had the better chances in the first half an hour or so. Sergio Mills showed quick free on the edge of the Hampton box before seeing his shot well saved by the keeper, Jeremiah then fired over pretty harmlessly as the game struggled to spark into life.

Then a made ninety seconds before half time brought goals apiece. First, City opened the scoring when a corner was flapped by Hampton keeper Sam Sepo. Sepo then somehow dropped the recycled ball back into the box, leaving Jeremiah to blast home in off the defender on the line.

But City’s lead was short lived as Omar Martin got clear down the right hand side for Hampton before crossing into the box. The ball eventually fell to Adam Priestley in the area and he made no mistake – sending us in level at the break.

Visit for all of your mortgage and financial planning needs.

The second half started with City still struggling for rhythm. They played with a back four, yet two high full backs with Thierry Shitto dropping in just in front of the two centre halves. That along with the almost false 9 and it felt like the middle of the park was way too congested to really play the football we have seen from Craig Robinson’s men.

So it came as no surprise that City started ticking in the final quarter of the match when Lewis Derrick, Lee Cook, Ehren Wintle and Fin Rees had come onto the field as it changed the hosts’ shape.

Down the left hand side Derrick and Ruari O’Boyle were creating space and with Omar Gikineh now playing through the middle there was more space behind him in the midfield and that is where City began to dominate!

Gikineh should have made it 2-1 with just under 20 minutes to go when Derrick wad found from a quick Ruari O’Boyle free kick down the right side of the box, but after Derrick cut in and drilled low the palm away from Sepo was slid over by Gikineh under pressure.

City didn’t need to wait long though as Ehren Wintle found space down the right and his pinpoint cross was headed home by Jeremiah, despite two strong hands from Sepo.

Then with five minutes left on the clock a corner kick was cleared out to Lee Cook, who stepped onto the ball and drilled it beyond the diving Sepo, who again got a hand to the effort.

There was still time for Captain Jack Spark to hit the post as City began to really dominate in the closing stages.

City U21s are back in action on Saturday 4th December when they head to Stourport Swifts before entertaining the same opposition on Saturday 11th December, kick off 10:30 at Meadow Park.

Gloucester City U21s: Jones, Fowler, O’Boyle, Spark, Gikineh, Shitto, Mills, Jeremiah, Soliman, Bevan, Gardiner

Subs: Derrick, Wintle, Cook, Rees, Nmakwe

Hampton U21s: Sepo, Keaney, Wilkinson, Girling, Atkinson, E Guinivan, Martin, C Guinivan, Priestley, Hayes, Amir

Subs: Hobbis, Buckley, Golding

M&S Roofing Man of the Match – Joe Jeremiah (Gloucester City U21s)

READ MORE: Check out the full list of results in and around Gloucestershire this weekend right here

LISTEN AGAIN: Cheltenham Saracens 4-3 Shortwood United

Cover Photo taken by Neil Phelps. To view all of his great Gloucester City images please visit his Flickr page by clicking here