Gloucester forced to come from behind twice to earn draw with Curzon Ashton

Featured image by Jeremy Gold.

On what was a very bleak day at The Jubilee Stadium, Gloucester City had to come back from losing positions twice to earn a point against National League North strugglers Curzon Ashton.

The weather was certainly expected to play a big part in proceedings and that was the case early on, as the wind caught Sam Avery’s looping clearance and carried it back towards the City goal, allowing Sean Miller to bundle home from close range.

That goal seemed to wake Mike Cook’s side up and they pushed onto the front foot. Joe Hanks looked to add to his 10 goals already this season, but he was denied by a fine save from Cam Mason.

A short corner routine chance looked as if it had been wasted by Fabien Robert as he tamely shot towards goal, but luckily for City Spencer Hamilton was on hand with a neat flick to score his first ever goal for the club.

Visit for all of your financial planning and mortgage consultancy needs

The wind had changed direction and now the momentum had too, as City looked for another. Marlon Jackson headed wide of the mark in a rare first half chance for the striker.

Hamilton then had the ball in the back of the net again; unfortunately for him though it was at the wrong end after he turned the ball past Bradley-Hurst following Divin Baningime’s teasing cross.

Sam Avery then almost got in on the own goal party himself, with Bradley-Hurst having to race back and claw the ball away to stop it trickling over the line.

Isaac Sinclair had a chance to put the game to bed shortly after the restart as he headed onto the top of the crossbar before, seconds later, Gloucester would go up the other end and score.

Jackson, who had largely been a passenger in the first half, showed his quality as he latched onto Hanks’s through ball and thundered an emphatic strike past Mason to level the match.

Some smart build up play from the Tigers came late on as they worked it well down the left hand side. Luke Russe took command of the chance and fired at goal, but it was straight at Mason who saw it all the way.

With the game coming to a conclusion it looked like neither side could give any more as the boggy pitch had clearly taken its toll. Somehow though, both sides mustered one final chance to win it.

Calveley, carrying it into the City half, spotted an opportunity to shoot from distance and he met it well, but Bradley-Hurst pulled off a phenomenal, flying save to keep it out, before Robert cut infield and curled a hopeful effort narrowly wide of the mark in what would be the last chance of the game.

Gloucester City: Bradley-Hurst, Hodges, Smith, Avery, Hamilton, Knowles, Parker (J. Jackson 68), Hanks, M. Jackson, Robert, Russe.

Subs not used: Johnstone, Hainault, Spark, King.

Goals: Hamilton 15′, M. Jackson 55′

Curzon Ashton: Mason, Baillie, Halls, Regan, Davies, Wroe, Calveley, Baningime, Trickett-Smith (Smith 75), Sinclair (Saunders 87), Miller.

Subs not used: Shaw, Merrill, Askew.

Goals: Miller 5′, Hamilton (o.g) 28′

Star man: Luke Russe (Gloucester City)

Att: 248