Tuffley Rovers hit Thornbury for six to advance in the Banbury Litho Floodlit Cup

Jack Beardsell and Ross Langworthy grabbed a brace each as Tuffley Rovers cruised to a 6-1 victory over Thornbury Town in the First Round of the Banbury Litho Floodlit Cup, with 17 year old Niall Priday coming off the bench to score his first goal for the First Team. 

Beardsell carved out the first chance of the game on 5 minutes when the former Fairford Town man won the ball on the right wing, before pulling back for Dom Kent who flashed his shot wide.

Asher Budd then had a great chance for Thornbury, when he was slipped in behind Mark Pritchett, but he fired wide from inside the box.

Tuffley went down the other end and broke the deadlock through yet another long range strike from Beardsell. After picking the ball up about 25 yards out, his right footed effort rifled into the top corner to settle Tuffley down.

Beardsell couldn’t believe his luck on the quarter of an hour mark, when after Ross Langworthy’s effort was saved the resulting was thundered home by the midfielder’s free header.

The Thornbury inquest had barely finished before Tuffley added two further efforts to find themselves 4-0 up before half an hour had even been played.

First the impressive left back Ben Prictor won the ball on the left hand side and beautifully crossed for Langworthy to head into the ground and past Scot Macleod in the Thornbury goal.

Only 90 seconds later Beardsell did exactly the same from the right hand side and his cross was confidently headed home by the tireless Langworthy.

Dom Kent fired wide twice just before the break, as Tuffley threatened to score every time they went forward.

Visit http://www.cornellandcompany.co.uk/ for all of your financial planning and mortgage consultancy needs

The second half started with Langworthy and Beardsell competing to try and get their hattrick first, with both players having chances but unable to add to their goals.

With 25 minutes left of the game Thornbury were given a route back into the game when Tuffley were guilty of playing it around their own box. A switched ball to Prictor put the full back in a lot of trouble and as he swung a boot to clear he caught the Thornbury forward.

Craig Lancastle stepped up to fire a consolation for Thornbury and to deny Rovers a clean sheet, something that would have annoyed player/manager Mark Pritchett.

The annoyance would have subsided, when after a Tuffley corner was cleared out to the taker Beardsell, the ball fell to Pritchett who rifled the ball home from about 12 yards.

There was still time for a moment of history for Tuffley, with 17 year old Niall Priday coming off the bench to turn the ball home after Lewis Bainbridge skilfully dribbled past and through three or four men before drilling the ball in.

Having covered Tuffley multiple times this calendar year, tonight’s first half performance was the most complete Tuffley performance since their 4-0 win over Ardley United, Tuffley’s next opponents next weekend, back in February. Stand-out performers were full backs Ben Prictor and Isaac Lawrence, as well as Paul Carter, Ross Langworthy and Jack Beardsell.

Tuffley Rovers: Avenell, Lawrence, Prictor, Pritchett, Herbert, Phillips, Idowu (Bainbridge 67′), Carter, Langworthy, Kent (Rhodes 83′), Beardsell (Priday 83′)

Subs Not Used: Graham, Earwaker

Thornbury Town: Macleod, Constable, J Brock (Bight 46′), Hodgson, Bennett, Skinner (Franklin 52′), Budd, Rawnsley, Lancastle, Clark, Jones

Subs Not Used: Sage, H Brock

Severn Sport Man of the Match – Ben Prictor (Tuffley Rovers)

Elsewhere in the Banbury Litho Floodlit Cup tonight, Bishops Cleeve were given one hell of a fright by Hellenic Division One West side Tytherington Rocks, who took the lead inside the opening 90 seconds before eventually being beaten by the Mitres 4-3.

A hattrick from former Longlevens striker James Campbell helped Brimscombe & Thrupp to a convincing and confidence building 4-0 victory of Cirencester Development at the Meadow.

There was a brief moment of confusion at Cinder Lane, where the referee insisted extra-time be started after Fairford Town‘s 1-1 draw with Bourton Rovers only to be reminded the new ruling that Hellenic Cups go straight to penalties. Bourton went on to win on penalties 4-3.

There wasn’t to be a repeat of Lydney Town‘s league heroics where they drew 0-0 at Westfields, as they were beaten by the Herefordshire side 3-1.

Also it was a bad night for Cheltenham Saracens and Newent Town, who were beaten 3-0 and 4-1 by Clanfield and Hereford Lads Club respectively.


Cover Photo with full copyright by Brian Rossiter. Please visit his wonderful albums via Twitter @BrianRossiter1 or Flickr