Forget the weather, forget the Coronavirus, the Cheltenham Gold Cup Festival meeting is here!
What are Severn Sport doing the Gold Cup meeting? Well, Ryan is doing his betting on a budget betting diary. A diary in which will show you how you can enjoy the big races without breaking the bank.
But as ever the main thing we are doing is running the Tipster League once again. For those who didn’t experience the Tipster League over the last couple of years here is a run down of what it is all about.
- The league consists of 10 participants battling it out to be crowned Severn Sport King Tipster
- How it works is the night before the races start Ryan will be sending out three races at the meeting. E.g. on Monday night three races are text out for the Tuesday.
- The participants are required to pick three horses per race. A winner, an each way shot and a reserve. The winner is the horse you think will win, the each way shot is one you tip to place and the reserve is there to replace a non-runner or withdrawn selection. *It is important to note that you only get one reserve per race.
- Points are issued depending on how well the selections perform. The participant with the most points at the end of the week will be crowned Severn Sport King Tipster(s).
So just how is the Tipster League scored? It goes as follows.
- If either of the winner or each way selections win, you will receive 3 points.
- If your each way selection places, you will receive 1 point.
- If your winner wins and your each way selection finishes 2nd you will receive 5 points for the race.
- If your each way selection wins and your winner finishes 2nd you will receive 4 points for the race.
- If you select a winning horse with an SP of 10/1+ you receive 2 bonus points.
- If you select a winning horse with an SP of 20/1+ you receive 5 bonus points.
- If any of your selections start but FAIL TO FINISH A RACE then you will lose 2 points per horse. *This includes fallers, unseating the rider or pulled up horses.
- The Gold Cup race will be additional race on the Friday. The competitors will simply pick a winner. If your selection wins you receive 6 points. If it places you receive 2 points.
In addition to the points, the competitors get boosts to use (like Fantasy Football). The competitors get three boosts, to use once each throughout the meeting. They are:
- Double Points – The double points boost does exactly that. It will double the points scored by that horse. *Win and each way points only
- Double SP – The double price boost can be used to gain bonus points for SP’s. E.g. if you select a 10/1 winner with the Double SP boost applied you can score 5 bonus points instead of 2. If you pick a 5/1 winner then your winner can get the 2 bonus points for a 10/1 winner.
- Extra Place – The extra place boost enables the competitor to pick two each shots in a race. This boosts your opportunity to receive all sorts of points. The boost will give you three horses in a race plus your reserve.
That is the rules out of the way now let’s meet the competitors and to give you a taste of what is to come, their Antepost tip ahead of the Cheltenham Festival.
Name: Kelsey De Maria
Tipster Name: The Sidekick
Antepost Tip: Tronador (Boodles Juvenile Handicap Hurdle – Wednesday 11th March)
Name: Michael Hedley-Ward
Tipster Name: The Fox
Antepost Tip: Summerville Boy (Stayers’ Hurdle – Thursday 12th March)
Name: Damon Highet
Tipster Name: Sweet Prince
Antepost Tip: Flash The Steel (Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle – Friday 13th March)
Name : Ryan Butler
Tipster Name: Bacon
Antepost Tip: Put the Kettle On (Racing Post Arkle Trophy – Tuesday 10th March)
Name: Sean Payne, Jason Taylor & Josh Boaden (Brockworth Albion)
Tipster Name: #Tripod
Antepost Tip: Lostintranslation (Cheltenham Gold Cup – Firday 13th March)
Name: Freddy Ward & Adam Mace (Bishops Cleeve)
Tipster Name: A whole season unbeaten, almost
Antepost Tip: Altior (Queen Mother Champion Chase – Wednesday 11th March)
Name: Craig Martin & Brad Martin (Longlevens)
Tipster Name: Always in my brother’s shadow
Antepost Tip: Envoi Allen (Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle – Wednesday 11th March)
Name: Joel White & Myron Turner (Slimbridge)
Tipster Name: Top Trotters
Antepost Tip: Paisley Park (Paddy Power Stayers’ Hurdle – Thursday 12th March)
Name: Colin Gay
Tipster Name: Mr Slimbridge AFC
Antepost Tip: Notebook (Arkle Trophy – Tuesday 11th March)
Name: Matt Yates
Tipster Name: The Voltage
Antepost Tip: Kemboy (Cheltenham Gold Cup – Friday 13th March)
The tipsters are set, now let the games begin!