Ruthless Longlevens put winless Brimscombe to the sword with a 3-0 win

A sensational first half display from Longlevens was enough to see them beat local rivals Brimscombe & Thrupp at the Meadow on Tuesday evening, 3-0. 

An early Brad Martin header followed by goals from Isaac Johns (pictured) and Harry Emmett saw Longlevens lead at the break and realistically, the hosts were lucky to only get away with a 3-0 scoreline.

After Harry Emmett’s shot was well saved by Ash Gale, the resulting corner was cleared and recycled by the visitors. Emmett crossed from the right and it was met by a Brad Martin header – with the forward stood in the six yard box all on his own.

Just two minutes later Emmett was slipped in down the left side of the box, but Gale did well to stand tall before saving down low to his left.

Gale saved against moments later, when Longlevens countered down the right and the ball fell to Brad Martin who drilled in low from the 18 yard line.

The Brimscombe keeper was called into action once more when Shaun O’Connor’s near 35 yard rocket of a free kick was palmed over as it flew goalwards. Longlevens were having plenty of chances and there was only 11 minutes gone.

Sixty seconds later after a neat one two, Tommy Callinan found himself in on the corner of the six yard box and could only blast against the side netting. Longlevens were flying but surely they couldn’t afford to keep missing chances?

Harry Emmett fired wide before Isaac Johns saw his shot from about 15 yards saved by Gale. Johns would beat Gale just before the half hour mark though, when a ball in fell to the Levens man on the edge of the box and was easily dispatched to finally double the visitors’ lead.

Brimscombe lost Chris Pates to injury just after half an hour as he was replaced by Elijah Simpson. Simpson had barely settled into the game before Longlevens had made it 3-0.

Emmett, who could have had a hattrick on the night, found space on the right corner of the box before cutting back and seeing his shot deflect into the bottom corner.

Ash Caldwell summed up the feeling around the Brimscombe side moments later when Emmett threatened to break at pace. As the Longlevens man charged over the half way line he was absolutely sliced down from behind. The Levens bench were furious and the yellow card came out. For many, Caldwell was lucky to stay on the pitch.

There was still time in the first half for Dave Merrick, who scored two long ranged strikes in this fixture last season. Merrick played a one two with Martin before seeing his shot well saved again by Gale.

Visit for all of your financial planning and mortgage consultancy needs

Former Longlevens striker James Campbell came on for Brimscombe at the break and he had the hosts’ first meaningful shot of the half, but it was tame and easy for Ash Wintle.

Ash Gale pulled off another decent save to stop another 30 yard Shaun O’Connor strike, with the Lilywhites stopper palming over to his left.

Isaac Johns was slipped in down the left side of the box but couldn’t add to his earlier goal, as he skied his shot onto the hill behind the goal.

Joe Haswell came on to replace Harry Emmett for his Longlevens First Team debut and did a good job at pressing the Brimscombe defenders.

In the end Longlevens had done the job in the first half an hour or so, but Brimscombe were poor all over continue to look very disjointed as a team.

Brimscombe stay winless and bottom of the league ahead of a proverbial six pointer with Holmer Green on Saturday. For Longlevens, they move up to 8th in the league ahead of the visitor of Windsor at the weekend.

Brimscombe & Thrupp: Gale, Marks, Bremner, Parrott, Pates (Simpson 31′), Pitts, Major (Campbell 46′), Welch, Pitt, Caldwell (Underwood 84′), Woodfield

Subs Not Used: Pass

Longlevens: Wintle, Dunn (Emery 66′), Barnett, Long, Williams, Merrick (Cornell 86′), T Callinan, O’Connor, Johns, Martin, Emmett (Haswell 75′)

Subs: G Callinan

Severn Sport Man of the Match – Isaac Johns (Longlevens)


Elsewhere in the Hellenic Premier tonight Bishops Cleeve were beaten 2-0 in the top of the table clash against Westfields, whilst Lewis Bainbridge’s goal earned Tuffley Rovers a 1-1 draw at Royal Wootton Bassett Town and Lydney Town were beaten 2-1 away at Shrivenham. 

Cover Photo with full copyright by Brian Rossiter. Please visit his wonderful albums via Twitter @BrianRossiter1 or Flickr