Opening day defeat for Lydney

Lydney Town 2-4 Highworth Town
Hellenic League – August 1st 2017
Chris Farr reporting for Severn Sport


The start of the new Hellenic Prem season didn’t quite go ti plan for Lydney Town. With 3 new signings starting in front of  a home crowd for the forest side hopes were high for manager Mark Lee.
High tempo from the off with both sides having good positions in very good areas of the pitch and it was Highworth who had the first real attempted on goal as an early corner was push wide from Lydney goalkeeper Richard Thomas.


It was Highworth that kept the tempo high from there and it wasn’t long until they found the back of the net. A long kick from the keeper saw new defender Dan Barnard try and head back to the advancing Lydney goalkeeper only to see it go past him into an empty net.
After this Lydney looked to try and settle down and played some very nice football which eventually paid off when they forced a corner on the far side.  Dan Morgan whipped it in and was met by perfectly by Peter Macklin to level the scores just ten minutes in to the new season.
Highworth should of had a penalty five minutes later, the forward went threw on goal and was taken down just before he could get his shot away but the referee waved away the visitors shouts.
Three minutes before the break, Highworth retook the lead  after putting some great flowing football together the move was finished tidily by Jake Slocombe leaving the score 2-1 visitors going in to the break.


The second half started slow with both sides looked to be trying to get the ball down and build momentum with various chances for both teams but neither had any end product. Both keepers were kept busy having to pull off saves from free kicks.
Eventually Highworth got the ball down and started running at the home defenders. A great move down the right saw the ball crossed in from a free kick which was met by Ash Edenborough to finish neatly passed the town keeper making it 3-1.
Highworth were not done there, after a few subs broke up the game, the visitors pushed for more, the Lydney keeper being noticeably busier than the visiting keeper. This was reflected when the ball fell to Kias Bonner-Shea who kept his cool to neatly slot past the busy Lydney keep to score the visitors forth with two minutes of the 90 left.
The game wasn’t done there as, to the home sides credit, they didn’t give up and were rewarded with a consolation goal when a lovely ball was whipped in to Macklin to tap in his second of the game.


An impressive start for Highworth, but Lydney played some nice football and scored a couple of nice goals, on another evening the scoreline could have been the other way. Lydney are back in action in the FA Cup on Saturday as they host Wantage.


Severn Sport Player of the Match – Richard Thomas (Lydney Town)


Lydney starting 11
Thomas, Morgon, Barnard, Morse, Hamblett, Guest, Addis(c) Sheppard, Hands, Macklin, Gibbs,
Subs Johnson, Pendrey , Shaw, Maxted, Derry,