Moore says “Individual mistakes let us down” as Lydney defeat Longlevens

Longlevens manager Mark Moore was left disappointing and bemoaning individual errors as his Longlevens side were defeated 3-2 in their first Gloucestershire derby of the season.

Goals from Josh Nelmes, Lewis Thompson and a Kieran Squires own goal were enough to give Lydney the points in a competitive match that lacked quality at some points.

Moore is happy with the way his side reacted to going behind, after they found themselves trailing on three separate occasions.

It was nearly the perfect start for the hosts when Craig Martin, who was in the line up replacing the absent Dave Rich, showed great space to burst through two defenders and volley just wide.

Lewis Thompson had two efforts well saved by Ash Wintle to cap off a blistering opening ten minutes. The game fell into a bit of rut afterwards though.

When the breakthrough came it came from a Lydney Town corner delivered from the right hand side. The ball was played to the back post and was looped in off Josh Nelmes head, on 38 minutes.

The lead lasted 90 seconds though as Longlevens attacked straight from kick off. Neat play down the right saw a cross fall to Rhys Lewis at the back post and we were all square at the break.

Just after the break Longlevens were forced to reshape after James Barnett was taken off with a shoulder injury.

The opening quarter of an hour of the second half saw limited opportunities, that was until Lydney went back in front.

Longlevens full back Ryan Dunn was guilty of over playing in his own box and was tackled by Lewis Thompson, who calmly slotted past Ash Wintle in goal.

Again, Longlevens attacked their visitors and it was debutant James Campball who brought us back to parity. He read a quick throw in from Dunn, carried it to about 25 yards out and hit across the ball to guide the ball into the bottom corner.

Ultimately Lydney scored their winning goal from another set piece. After a free kick was headed down by a Lydney head, the ball rebounded in off Longlevens substitute Kieran Squires.

Longlevens brought on Shaun O’Connor and Myron Turner as they huffed and puffed in search of an equaliser, but an impressive Lydney Town held on for a deserved three points.

Speaking to Severn Sport after the game, Longlevens manager Mark Moore said,

“It was a disappointing result. We know Lydney didn’t play on Saturday so we were hoping that we would have been more settled than them. The first half was very much like a local derby. They have big, strong lads and we didn’t really get the ball down and play it. In some respect we gave Lydney too much respect and they didn’t allow us to play.”

“We reacted well to going a goal behind and said at half time about how we can improve, but in the second half we just didn’t get the ball down and got punished by us being lazy.”

Both sides are in FA Cup action this weekend, with Longlevens travelling away to Holmer Green whilst Lydney Town travel to AFC Hayes, both in the Extra Preliminary Round of the cup.

Longlevens Starting XI: Wintle, Dunn, Barnett (Squires 59′), Smyllie, Sausman, Lewis, Kennedy, Martin (Turner 68′), Philp, Campbell, Kavanagh (O’Connor 79′)

Subs Not Used: Roach, Sysum

Lydney Town Starting XI: Thomas, Rutter, Morgan, Nelmes, Sheppard, Elliott, Board, Cole (Hamblett 90+2′), Gabriel (Morley-Lyne 84′), Thompson, Wines (Johnson 73′)

Subs Not Used: Jelly, Jeremiah

Severn Sport Man Of The Match: Josh Nelmes (Lydney Town)