Maher eager to repay faith after man of the match display in late Gloucester City win

Gloucester City Niall Maher told Severn Sport that he was pleased to be playing consistently for the Tigers and is eager to repay the faith shown in him by manager, James Rowe.

Maher, who joined the club in December, produced a performance that earned his second man of the match award in three days in City’s 2-1 win over Farsley Celtic on Monday night – after being given the accolade following the 1-1 draw at Kettering Town on Saturday.

In testing conditions the former Weston-super-mare keeper produced a string of saves to keep his side in the contest, including a couple of world class stops in either half.

The first eye-catching save came after Farsley had taken the lead through a well worked and well taken goal by forward Dave Syes and it was from Syes that Maher produced a stunning save.

After Syes headed a left wing cross down into the ground from six yards, the ball bounced up sharply and was destined to fly in but for a superb claw out from Maher, who reacted quickest to clear the follow up.

The crowd in attendance at the Jubilee Stadium knew that the save was a big moment as City went in at the break 1-0 down, having kicked into the wind in the first 45 minutes.

Visit for all of your financial planning and mortgage consultancy needs

Ryan and Kelsey mentioned on commentary at the interval that Gloucester had done well to still be in the game at the break and the second half would be the Tigers’ chance to put the visitors under pressure.

The second half saw a lot of huffing and puffing from City in the early exchanges and would level the game up through Matt McClure’s flicked header from a cross by Taylor Allen.

Allen himself changed the game when he came off the bench and was City’s third and final change after being forced to replace Fabien Robert and Josh Thomas. The latter left the ground at full time on crutches.

At 1-1 Maher would be called into action from Syes again to keep his side level. Again it was a close range header as Syes sent his header crashing towards goal from 6 yards only for Maher to instinctively palm the ball away.

Then, when the game looked destined to finish level, the tireless forward Marlon Jackson jinked his way down the left side of the box before pulling back for Bernard Mensah to stroke home a timely winner.

At full time all of Gloucester’s fans, players and management all rejoiced at what could be a crucial result given a run of home matches – including a showdown with Blyth Spartans on Saturday.

After the game we spoke to Maher, which you can watch in full below: