Longlevens win in the FA Vase after being stuck on motorway

Longlevens advanced into the First Round of the FA Vase with a 3-1 win at Sandhurst Town, following a two hour wait on the side of the motorway due to their coach breaking down.

The dramatic Sunday trip to Berkshire started with the initial realisation that the kit had been left at their Longford Lane headquarters, but was brought up with travelling committee members.

Then after experiencing road closures and diversions, their trip would take another unfortunate turn when a loud bang and a thud saw the journey brought to a halt.

A suspected broken flywheel and a near two hour wait on the side of the M4 for players, management and committee members – as well as our very own Ryan Butler, a replacement vehicle attended and the journey was completed.

Visit http://www.cornellandcompany.co.uk/ for all of your mortgage and financial planning needs.

The game itself started with a flurry of early chances for Longlevens, with Ethan Dunbar, Joey Haswell and Joe Westrip all firing off target in the opening 25 minutes.

Longlevenc controlled most of the first half and other than two speculative efforts Sandhurst offered very little in the way of an attacking threat.

Dunbar and then Cam Williams had shots saved, with Williams’ effort needing to be tipped just over to keep it 0-0 and the feeling was creeping in that Longlevens needed to score before half time to really take control of the contest.

They went and grabbed the lead in first half injury time when a corner kick from the right was headed down and Dunbar blasted the ball home to send his send in at the break a goal to the good.

The second half started slowly for both sides, with Sandhurst showing more initiative but again, not really being able to carve out too many goalscoring chances.

With ten minutes to go though the game exploded into life. Dunbar was slipped in one on one with Sandhurst keeper Emilio Fantocchio and the former Frampton United forward was brought down as he rounded the goalie.

Shaun O’Connor stepped up to see his spotkick saved by Fantocchio and from there the hosts’ spirts were lifted.

Within two minutes the game was level as substitute Joao Jardim headed home from close range after a corner kick was headed down to him.

But the equaliser seemed to re-ignite Longlevens and after Ollie Long carried the ball from centre back up to the left hand side of the Sandhurst box, the ball in fell to Cam Williams who laid it off for Brad Martin to curl the ball home to restore his side’s lead.

Then to seal the deal Will Emery intercepted the ball on half way and charged in on goal before calming slotting it into the bottom corner.

Longlevens will be in the draw for the First Round Proper of the FA Vase, with the draw to be released on Monday at 1pm and are next in action when they head to Shrivenham on Tuesday night

Sandhurst Town: Fantocchio, Slade, Babchynister, West, Haworth, Penton, Seeman, Whitters, Penney, Griggs, Sani

Subs: Limbu, Steinborn-Busse, Mayele, Mott, Simmonds, Pritchard, Jardim

Longlevens: Parker, Emery, Barnett, Long, Talbot, Westrip, Williams, O’Connor, Haswell, Dunbar, McKinnon

Subs: Troke, Winman, Rea, Callinan, Martin

M&S Roofing Man of the Match – Ethan Dunbar (Longlevens)

READ MORE: Check out the full list of results in Gloucestershire on Saturday right here

Check out this week’s Severn Sevens as Ryan takes on Slimbridge co-Chairman Colin Gay

Cover photo taken with full copyright by Brian Rossiter. Please visit his wonderful albums via Twitter @BrianRossiter1 or Flickr