Longlevens lack killer instinct as losing run continues away at Holmer Green

James Britnell’s goal in first half stoppage time was the difference between an evenly matched Holmer Green and Longlevens, stretching Levens’ run of defeats to five in the league – with their last win coming back at the start of September. 

The Gloucestershire based side went into the game with no less than 11 players missing or unavailable, including Ash Wintle who was serving the first of a three match suspension.

Their make shift line up including former Slimbridge goalkeeper Ollie Hall, James Campbell as part of a back three with Dave Rich and Ollie Long and the returns of Isaac Johns after a ban and Dave Merrick after a long term injury.

The hosts flew out of the blocks, winning a corner inside the opening 40 seconds. Levens settled down to clear the ball and soak up some early pressure.

Britnell went close from another Holmer corner, this time sending his free header over the bar. Mason Scott then sent another free header wide as the hosts had the best of the early going.

As Longlevens grew into the game they had their first effort just before the 10 minute mark. When it came it was a thunderbolt from Dave Rich, as his 40 yard effort whistled wide.

The game fell into a dour period, with both sides struggling to keep possession with the wet ground and wind swirling around.

Striker turned centre half James Campbell nearly played in Holmer Green winger Lewis Workman just after the half hour mark with an astray back pass. Campbell to his credit recovered well to get in front of the winger and block him from firing at Hall.

Longlevens defended resolutely in the first period but were nearly caught out when Mason Scott got in behind, but the Holmer man slotted the ball underneath Hall and against the post.

Just when it looked like we would be going in at the break all square, a long ball flew over Logan Roach. The full back recovered but was unable to prevent Workman drilling across the box. Britnell and Campbell both slid in at the near post, with the final touch coming off the Holmer man to break the deadlock.

Levens came out for the second half like a team possessed and nearly levelled inside two minutes when Isaac Johns got in down the left hand side. He had the presence of mind to screw the ball back to the edge of the box. The ball was perfect for Dave Merrick who ran onto the ball but could only side foot wide.

Tommy Callinan, who found himself playing as part of a midfield three and looked much better for doing so, volleyed wide minutes later as the visitors began to press for the equaliser.

Longlevens huffed and puffed but were struggling to create consistent chances. Harry Emmett came on with quarter of an hour left and they looked much better for it.

James Campbell flashed a free kick wide and Mason Scott rounded Hall but could only find the side netting, as both sides had late chances.

Hall showed his quality with a fantastic save from Lewis Workman in the dying minutes, before Callinan headed a corner over with just seconds left.

Longlevens move on to two very important games in the coming weeks, with a home game against Virginia Water next weekend followed by a trip to Shrivenham on the 24th November. 

Holmer Green: Brown, Harrison, Duffy, Stone, Munday, Parsons, Workman, Hunt, Britnell (Fifield 70′), Scott (Kotwica 79′), Riley (Cox 70′)

Subs Not Used: Wilson, Powles

Longlevens: Hall, Dunn (Brown 85′), Roach (M Lewis 79′), Merrick, Campbell, Long, Welch, Rich, Johns (Emmett 73′), O’Connor, Callinan

Subs Not Used: R Lewis

Severn Sport Man Of The Match – Dave Rich (Longlevens)