Longlevens knocked out of FA Vase after two goals in extra time

Longlevens are out of the FA Vase after a Liam Prynn hattrick for Tavistock saw the South Peninsula League side win 3-1, after extra time.

Levens started well, with Shaun O’Connor testing Josh Oak inside three minutes after James Campbell’s cross was caught up in the wind.

Just seconds later Tavistock had their first chance, with Josh Grant slicing an effort over from 18 yards.

James Campbell nearly broke the deadlock just before the quarter of an hour mark after Oak’s poor clearance fell to the Longlevens striker. Oak though, got back to save the shot.

As we ticked past half way into the first half the visitors broke the deadlock. A longball down field got caught up in the wind and it allowed forward Liam Prynn to nip in ahead of keeper Ash Wintle, side step a despairing Ed Smyllie slide tackle and slot the ball into the net.

The lead lasted just three minutes before Longlevens crafted a well worked equaliser. After a James Barnett throw was returned to the full back, he carried the ball towards the box before laying it off the Shaun O’Connor. O’Connor backheeled the ball into the path of Campbell who dispatched his 12th goal of the season for the Hellenic Premier side.

Tavistock midfielder Reece Shanley was carried off just past the half hour mark, after a 50/50 challenge with Jonty Welch. Welch won the ball and a foul wasn’t given but concern was immediate for the man just back from a knee injury.

The first half ended in an end-to-end fashion. First the impressive Tallan Burns went close for Tavistock, seeing his effort blocked by returning centre half Luke Kavanagh. Longlevens nearly took the lead moments later but Myron Turner scuffed his shot wide from inside the box.

Within seconds of the restart Prynn nearly fired the visitors in front. Longlevens were slow to start the second period and were caught out by Burns down the left. The winger got in behind before pulling back to Prynn, but the forward skied his shot from inside the six yard box.

Burns found himself in down the left again just before the hour mark as the Longlevens defence began to tire. The winger’s shot flew across goal and wide though.

The end to end nature of the game continued in the second half without much in the way of goalmouth action, until Burns got in on goal on the left again with just minutes to go only to see his shot rebound off the post.

Both sides had opportunities to win the game in injury time of the regulation 90. Firstly, Craig Martin got on the end of a David Beckham worthy cross – but his effort was well saved by Oak.

Tavistock went up the other end and after the Longlevens defence became stretched Luke Brown was in on the right side of the box. Brown’s effort was saved by Wintle and held before Grant and Prynn could close in.

Longlevens’ match winner from their Preliminary Round replay win against Tuffley Rovers Ryan Dunn had the last chance of the game as he won the header at the back post after another great cross by Welch. The header was straight at Oak and we were heading for extra time.

Both sides were tired in the first period of extra time but the key moments came in the second 15. Two goals in two minutes for Liam Prynn sealed the win for Tavistock and secured his hattrick in the process.

First, Burns got in down the left once more. His driven cross come shot rebounded in off Prynn despite protests from Longlevens that the ball had gone forwards and Prynn was offside.

The hosts had barely settled before the ball was played in from the left again, this time the ball deflected towards the near post. The ball rebounded off Wintle, allowing Prynn to nod home his and the away side’s third.

Longlevens’ young striker Isaac Johns saw red for a second yellow card after a couple of heated moments when already on a booking.

It was a disappointing end to the FA Vase run for Longlevens, but they have and will play worse than that yet come away with the points.

Longlevens: Wintle, Barnett, Smyllie, Kavanagh, Roach, Welch, Emmett (Rich 62′), Martin, O’Connor (Dunn 89′), Turner (Johns 74′), Campbell

Subs Not Used: Merrick, Squires

Tavistock: Oak, Hughes, Brown, Shanley (Riddle 31′), Greening, Daw, Burns (Clifton 113′), Hallett, Prynn, Grant, Crago (Williams 89′)

Subs Not Used: None

Severn Sport Man Of The Match – Jonty Welch (Longlevens)