Longlevens end winless run thanks to clinical second half

Longlevens won for the first time since January, as they brushed aside Windsor 3-0, thanks to two classy goals in a great second half for the hosts.

The match kicked off in front of a sunny Saw Mills crowd but it failed to spark into life for long periods of the first half.

It was nearly half an hour gone before we had the first major event in the game and when it came it was met by disbelief. After a long and bouncing ball was chased down by Brad Martin, the Longlevens forward jumped up to head the ball beyond the rushing Windsor keeper, Hugo Sobte. Sobte appeared to clatter Martin with a high boot sending the forward sprawling onto the turf only for the referee, Spencer McNaught, to wave play on.

Before the collision the game really struggled for any quality in the attacking thirds with neither side able to turn decent possession into goalbound efforts. After the collision however, saw the last 15 minutes of the half produce scares for both defences.

First Ed Smyllie headed a free kick down for Martin for Longlevens, but Sobte smothered the shot as the forward stretched for it. Then after neat work down the Windsor left hand side, the ball was played into Barry Hayles. The former Fulham forward’s effort was straight at Ash Wintle, causing the Longlevens keeper no real concern.

The deadlock was broken just before the break after a delightful diagonal to Brad Martin down the left for Longlevens saw the big man with time and space to curl a beautiful ball along the box for the sliding Jay Kennedy. Kennedy got to the ball ahead of Sobte and guided it into the bottom corner.

The second half started as predicted. The FA Vase quarter finalists Windsor saw a lot more of the ball and Longlevens, who before today hadn’t won a game since their 3-0 win at home to Thame Rangers on the 17th January, retreated knowing they had the weather the storm.

Windsor couldn’t create enough efforts on goal to have their hosts constantly worried but after a glorious chance for Ed Port went begging the visitors were punished.

Longlevens substitute Rhys Lewis combined well with Jonty Welch down the left hand side before crossing for Myron Turner. Turner’s effort deflected and looped up and over Sobte and doubling Levens’ lead.

Brad Martin missed a clear net from about 6 yards out after more beautiful play involving Lewis down the left hand side again, but Levens didn’t have to wait long for their third.

With just under 10 minutes left the ball was played forward to Craig Martin. Martin didn’t give up the lost cause and after winning the ball back, laid the ball off for Lewis to cross to the back post. The cross was headed down by young substitute Jack Cornell, Brad Martin held off his man to allow midfielder Dave Rich to volley home from 18 yards.

It was the perfect way to seal a perfect result for Mark Moore and his men, who included 17 year old left back Toby Shelton in the starting XI.

Longlevens stay 9th in the league and need a couple of wins to ensure a top 10 finish. They close out their home campaign with two games this week, firstly they welcome Woodley United to Saw Mills on Thursday 19th before a tough test against Binfield next Saturday.

Longlevens: Wintle, Dunn, Shelton, Welch (Cornell 79′), Smyllie, Sausman, Kennedy (C Martin 73′), Rich, Turner, B Martin, McCabe (Lewis 69′)

Subs Not Used: None

Windsor: Sobte, Pearce, Port (Ingram 81′), Stockill (August 45′), Kelly-Lewis, Di Giuseppe, Sutherland, Oshilaja, Denton (Roth 59′), Hayles, Hall

Subs Not Used: Smith

Severn Sport Man Of The Match: Bradley Martin (Longlevens)