Longlevens end home campaign with impressive win

Longlevens brought the curtain down on their home season with a 2-1 win against Binfield yesterday afternoon, moving back up to 8th in the process.

After being humbled at Saw Mills in a disastrous opening 20 minutes against Woodley on Thursday evening it was important that Levens started well.

They did just that. Inside the first two minutes Dave Rich floated a corner into the box and centre back Adam Phillips was allowed a free header, which he duly dispatched.

Phillips was joined at centre half by player/assistant manager Craig Martin after his recent stint of playing as a second striker for Longlevens and the two them were part of a home side that defended impressively well, frustrating the Binfield attack with their aggressive yet efficient defending.

At the other end Brad Martin and Dave Merrick went close to doubling the hosts lead during an end to end first half.

Binfield struggled to carve out too many chances in the first half to worry Longlevens, with the closest efforts coming from a Kane Fitzgerald free kick that was straight at Ash Wintle and a Sanchez Commock header that flashed over.

In the second half Longlevens drew back slightly and absorbed more pressure. But it nearly worked for them when Brad Martin chased a long clearance down field, rounded the keeper but was forced way out to the right hand side meaning his effort was smothered.

There was a scare for the hosts when Phillips and Craig Martin both went for the same ball and the mix up saw Ian Davies round Wintle before Martin got back to block the ball across goal. Panic over.

Wintle was called into action on numerous occasions in the second half, saving from Davies twice and from the cutting in Commock, in reality they weren’t the most strenuous saves to make.

As Binfield pressed for an equaliser they won an 89th minute corner. After Craig Martin’s header at the near post it fell to Brad Martin. He exchanged passes with Myron Turner and Martin was in. He rounded Binfield keeper Henry Craven and was clattered by the keeper. Penalty.

Myron Turner stepped up to try and convert from 12 yards, something Longlevens hadn’t been able to do in the last 5 attempts. He dispatched the spotkick calmly and it felt like the points were safe.

Longlevens were made to sweat in the end after Ash Wintle gave away his second penalty in two days. He collided with Ian Davies as the forward went round him. Davies stepped up to half the deficit but time had ran out for Binfield.

It was the perfect response to Thursday night’s result from the hosts, who were superb from 1-11. For Binfield they will disappointed that Wintle wasn’t made to work harder on the day. Both sides looked like they are glad the season is finishing.

Longlevens were celebrating as a club after their 3rds side won 7-2 to gain promotion in the Stroud League. 

Longlevens: Wintle, Dunn, Lewis, Merrick, Phillips, Welch, C Martin, Rich, Turner (Barnard 90+1′), B Martin (Johns 89′), Linham (McCabe 85′)

Subs Not Used: None

Binfield: Craven, Powell, Shaw, Knight, Smith, Gavin, Santoro, Fitzgerald (Gritt 70′), Davies, Moore (Colverd 62′), Commock

Subs Not Used: Gerrard

Severn Sport Man Of The Match: Craig Martin (Longlevens)

Longlevens end their season next Saturday (28th April) with a trip to Reading to face Woodley United. You can follow the game live on Severn Sport.