Gloucester City comeback thwarted by late penalty in FA Trophy defeat.

Gloucester City were sent out of The FA Trophy by National League side Wealdstone, when a spirited display that nearly saw them complete their second two-goal comeback in 10 days was denied by a penalty 10 minutes from the end.

After the original fixture was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch two days prior, Gloucester made the trip on Monday night and struggled to see much of the ball in the opening exchanges.

It was The Tigers who had the first sight of goal for either side as Matt McClure fired over the bar from range; at the other end, Dyer slipped the ball nicely into Lewis, but Rhys Lovett was out quickly to smother.

Jordan Young was pulling the strings for City when they had the ball – having extended his loan until the end of the season alongside Jordan Burroughs – as he fired wide after James and McClure linked up well.

The Stones were controlling most of the possession and their pressure paid, although Paul Groves will certainly see his side defend much better as Dyer was afforded too much time in the box to curl past Lovett.

Gloucester searched for an immediate equaliser and were left baffled when Young was barged off the ball on the edge of the box, but the protests were waved away.

As City tried to press, Wealdstone doubled their lead through Emmanuel. A lapse in concentration saw the back line flat-footed, allowing Emmanuel to sneak in and round Lovett for a tap-in.

Paul Groves had clearly instilled a sense of urgency in his side for the second half, as The Tigers came out of the blocks reverting back to their usual high intensity game.

Young had a chance to repeat his free kick heroics but couldn’t dip his effort under the bar, before he saw a cross cleared from two yards out that was begging to be turned home.

McClure then went close himself twice. First by firing a dragged shot wide of the post from the edge of the box, before curling a simple shot into Moore’s arms from the same distance.

Just as City were growing back into the game, Josh Thomas was adjudged to have handled in the box. Benyu stepped up to the spot-kick but it was poor and an easy save in the end for Lovett.

That gave City even more belief, and Burroughs pulled struck a sensational effort right into the top corner from 30 yards after carrying it from inside his own half.

It looked set to be a barn-storming finish, but any hopes of a comeback were laid to bed as a second penalty was given following a trip in the box, which was dispatched by Green.

Young had one final chance from a free kick 25 yards from goal, but he could not repeat his heroics against Kidderminster and that would be the final chance for either side.

Paul Groves will no doubt be disappointed with his side’s exit from the competition, but with bigger fish to fry in their title charge in The National League North, it may come as a blessing in disguise to focus efforts elsewhere.

Wealdstone: Moore, Efete, Meekings, Okimo (c), Mendy, Smith, Phillips, Dyer (Benyu 65′), Green, Lewis (Hughes 83′), Emmanuel (Slew 65′)

Subs not used: Askew, Kougun, Hearn, Cawley

Gloucester: Lovett, Webb (Di Segni 71′), Thomas, Morgan (Robert 44′), Burroughs, James, O’Sullivan, Dawson (c), Young, Marsh-Brown, McClure

Subs not used: Hainault, Maher

Gloucester Star Man: Jordan Young

Cover Photo taken by Neil Phelps. To view all of his great Gloucester City images please visit his Flickr page by clicking here.