Cleal’s delight as Cleeve get up and running after 2-0 win over local rivals

Stephen Cleal was visibly delighted at full time as his Bishops Cleeve side notched up their first win of the season, scoring two second half goals to beat local rivals Brimscombe & Thrupp 2-0.

Cleeve came into the game after an opening day draw against Ascot United and before kick off Cleal told us that if his side could pick up the points at The Meadow this evening then he would have been delighted.

He would have been pleased at half time despite the goalless score line. Ieuan Crown had a hatful of chances for the visitors but failed to really work Ashley Gale in goal. Likewise Brimscombe had chances through Harrison Reeves and Sam Blackie without causing Lewis Clayton too many problems.

The first half was cagey and competitive yet it was as exciting and feisty as you could expect from a local derby.

Brimscombe finished the first half stronger and flew out of the traps in the second period. Jack Smith combined well with Ollie Pitt, with the latter firing wide from the edge of the box after a sweeping move.

With the hosts pressing you felt like a goal was coming. However, it came down the other end.

After a free kick was cleared long to the half way line it was flicked on via the left boot of Brad Martin. The ball was latched onto by Elliott Kennedy and the forward slotted the ball past the rushing Gale.

Kennedy brought out the Fortnite celebrations as the whole side ran over to their teammate. The Mitres bench letting out a big roar, knowing how important that goal could turn out to be.

With the goal came the derby day challenges. In the stands it felt quite chilly but on the pitch the action was just hotting up. The Bishops Cleeve bench were up in arms after an Ash Caldwell challenge whilst Brimscombe began to get frustrated.

Brad Martin was replaced by Jack Watts and the substitute would be the man the seal the points. After he picked the ball up 25 yards from goal he unleashed an unstoppable low effort into the bottom corner and once again the Cleeve bench were roaring in delight.

Watts himself brought out another great celebration. This time he lifted his shirt up over his head Ravanelli style, ran towards the corner flag and slid in two footed. All of this whilst he was screaming in delight. The Mitres knew the points were safe.

One negative for Bishops Cleeve was that Ieuan Crowe was carried off the field with a heavily strapped ankle after looking in absolute agony receiving treatment.

Both sides turn their attentions to the FA Cup this weekend. Brimscombe & Thrupp travel away to Holyport whilst Bishops Cleeve host Stotfold in the Extra Preliminary Round.

Brimscombe & Thrupp: Gale, Woodfield, Bennett, Caldwell, Pass, Greenhough, Reeves (Deakin 75′), Parrott, Smith, Blackie, Pitt (Major 74′)

Subs Not Used: Snook, Pates, Simpson

Bishops Cleeve: Clayton, New, Mace, Wright (Ford 64′), Paddock, Staten, Kennedy, Layton, Crowe (Lewellyn 75′), Martin (Watts 71′), Iddles

Subs Not Used: None


Severn Sport Man Of The Match – Kirk Layton (Bishops Cleeve)