Ciren Devs edge Moreton as weather obliterates fixture list

First half strikes from Max Lloyd and captain Sam Farr were enough to see Cirencester Development claim a hard fought 2-1 win over Moreton Rangers, as the non-league programme in the county was spoiled by the weather. 

As the wind and rain swirled around the Corinium Stadium, the first bit of action came with the ball out of play.

After a throw in decision went against the hosts Farr spoke out of the turn to the referee and was given a 10 minute sin bin with only 3 minutes on the clock.

Thankfully for the hosts Farr’s absence was punished and in fact moments before he came back into the game the Centurions had their best chance of the opening exchanges.

Rowan Doyle did well to side step his man on the edge of the box before firing low towards goal. Moreton keeper Ollie Currill did well to throw himself left and palm the ball out for a corner.

Then on 19 minutes the deadlock was broken. After Max Lloyd cut back in the box, the forward was tripped leaving the referee no choice but to point to the spot.

Farr stepped up to send Currill the wrong way and gave the hosts a lead they deserved.

Moreton had the ball in the back of the net five minutes later but Jamie Wyatt was flagged offside before slotting home and from the stands it looked like the visitors were right to be aggrieved.

The rest of the half saw the Centurions have a string of chances and it felt like if the second didn’t come then Ciren would live to regret the misses.

First Currill did well to save low to his right from Doyle, who must have felt he was never going to score.

Harry Rule then headed over from inside the six yard box after a deep cross bounced all the way through to the forward at the back post, Rule then crashed one off the foot of the post from 25 yards just before the break and frustration was building for the hosts.

But with just 90 seconds of the first half left a ball in from the right was only cleared to Max Lloyd, who rifled the ball past Currill from the middle of the area and the hosts went in at the break two goals to the good.

Visit for all of your financial planning and mortgage consultancy needs

A slow second half burst into life on 52 minutes when a scuffed shot on the edge of the Cirencester box fell to full back Hedley Smart, who showed composure to side foot the ball past Harry Irving in the Cirencester goal.

However the second half ended up fizzling out for the most part, with only half chances created for either side. In reality, due to the conditions, Cirencester shut up shop with about 25 minutes left and Moreton never really looked like having enough to beat Irving for a second time.

The win sees the Devs move three points clear of Tytherington Rocks and find themselves in 12th place of the Hellenic League Division One West table, seven points behind the mid table pack, but having played up to five more than the other sides.

It was a tough afternoon for both sides and credit must go to all of the players on the field. The first half was dominated by Cirencester and the second by Moreton, this was due to the direction of the wind meaning that the side kicking into the wind kept getting penned into their own half.

The only difference between the two sides on the day was that Cirencester kept the ball better and during their 45 minutes kicking with the wind, they adjusted to the pace of the wet pitch better.

Cirencester Town Development: Irving, Arnold, White, Cotter, Farr, Burt, Doyle, Dias, Rule, Thomas, Lloyd

Subs: Williams, Roberts, Holder, Ponting, Gough

Moreton Rangers: Currill, Goss, Smart, Tomes, Smith, Shipman, Ellis, Whitehouse, Nurse, Brookes, Wyatt

Subs: Curzons, Peters, Burford, Alcock, Higgins

Severn Sport Man of the Match – Sam Farr & Max Lloyd (Cirencester Town Development, both)



In an afternoon where most of the non-league programme in Gloucestershire fell foul of the weather, all of the Southern League, Hellenic Premier, Gloucestershire County League and Division One of the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League games were called off and only three games in Division Two of the GNSL survived. 

There were 2-2 draws in both Bibury vs Abbeymead and in Falcons vs Broadwell Amateurs Reserves, with Winchcombe Town claiming a 3-0 win against Staunton & Corse to stay 7th in the table.