Brockworth come from behind to beat 10-man Barnwood to reach County Cup Final

Two long ranged efforts in two minutes saw Brockworth Albion come from behind to claim a 2-1 win against 10-man Barnwood United to advance into the final of the Gloucestershire FA Senior Amateur Cup. 

Goals from Jordan Alderman and Dave Wilkinson just after the hour mark saw the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League Division One side earn their place in the final, but they didn’t have things all their own way during a feisty and competitive contest.

Albion did have the first chance of the game, when Liam Mayo was played in on the right side of the box before firing his effort low and off the post.

From there Barnwood grew into the game and made life difficult for their visitors, but saw Josh Philpotts harshly go into the book for catching Aston Stevens as the defender cleared the ball.

It was the first real challenge of the match and it wasn’t a challenge you’d usually see receive a yellow and that came back to cost Philpotts and Barnwood.

Before that though, Stevens made a crucial challenge on Philpotts, as the Barnwood man went charging through and looked set to get in one on one. Stevens though was on hand to perfectly slide the ball away from the attacker and the chance was gone.

Then, just after the quarter mark of the match, Philpotts was countering again for the hosts and after he over ran the ball on the half way line, he lunged in with studs showing and caught Sean Payne.

It was an easy decision for the referee to issue Philpotts a second yellow and give him his marching orders, must to the dismay of his teammates but even Assistant Manager Craig Salter would go on to admit it was simply a challenge you can’t make on a yellow card.

However, those in attendance at the Walls Club were left in shock just before half time when Brockworth keeper Chris Skinner played the ball straight to Josh Fivash on the left corner of the box. The Barnwood man simply curled the ball up and over Skinner and the 10 men lead 1-0.

In first half stoppage time Barnwood should have doubled their lead when substitute Scott Walker won the ball on the left side of the box, pulled it back for Keenan Rankin-Woodhouse – but the former Brockworth man skied over from inside the six yard box.

Visit for all of your financial planning and mortgage consultancy needs

Demar Rankin-Woodhouse had the first chance of the second half, when a free kick fell to the him on the edge of the box. The defender couldn’t get the ball out of his feet though and he scuffed wide.

Skinner may have made a mistake for the goal, but he made up for it with an all important save five minutes later. After a corner was whipped to the back post, Barnwood captain Ross Hancock took the ball down before seeing his shot smothered by the Albion keeper and it was still only 1-0.

Brockworth had the man advantage but were yet to really make it count and the frustration began to build on the bench as well as on the pitch. Half time substitute Rory Wilkinson began to see more of the ball and from there Albion looked to try and control the central areas.

Shane Burford showed his power as he drove with the ball into the box before firing over and Dan Alderman curled a free kick wide as it began to feel like it may not be Brockworth’s day.

But as he has done so many times for the club, Jordan Alderman grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and dragged his side level.

After cutting in from the left side of the box, he unleashed a shot from 25 yards then screwed into the bottom corner, giving Rob Sherwood absolutely no chance.

If Sherwood didn’t have a chance with that strike then he was getting absolutely nowhere near an effort from all of 35 yards from Dave Wilkinson just 90 seconds later.

The Brockworth captain picked the ball up, took a touch to set himself before unleashing a strike worthy of winning any football match.

From there the game became a bit of slugfest but we played 9 minutes of additional time at the end of the match and in that time Barnwood threw the kitchen sink to try and force penalties.

Corners aplenty and Brockworth were guilty of giving away needless free kicks in their own half and invited pressure onto themselves.

Barnwood’s best and final chance came when Callum Thomas sent an effort crashing off the Brockworth crossbar from the right corner of the box. Thomas then curled a free kick over as Albion held on to make the final.

Brockworth will play Charfield in the final of the Senior Amateur Cup after they claimed a 4-2 win over Harrow Hill.

Barnwood United: Sherwood, Moore, Halls, D Rankin-Woodhouse, K Rankin-Woodhouse, Robinson, Thomas, Hancock, Newman, Fivash, Philpotts

Subs: Walker, Brown, Mortimer

Brockworth Albion: Skinner, Payne, Willetts, Stevens, Cairns, D Wilkinson, Taylor, D Alderman, J Alderman, Mayo, Burford

Subs: R Wilkinson, Boaden, Evans

Severn Sport Man of the Match – Rory Wilkinson (Brockworth Albion)

READ MORE: Check out the full list of results in and around Gloucestershire this weekend right here

LISTEN AGAIN & FOLLOW: Listen again to Severn Sport on Dean Radio on Spotify or right here

Cover Photo with full copyright by Brian Rossiter. Please visit his wonderful albums via Twitter @BrianRossiter1 or Flickr