Barnwood United win Stroud League title in dramatic final day

Barnwood United clinched the Stroud League Division One title by just two goals ahead of Frampton United reserves after a dramatic 6-0 win against Charfield, with Barnwood netting three times in the last 10 minutes.

After wins against Old Richians last week and Frampton, Barnwood were top of the Stroud League Division One by just a single goal heading into today’s games. Whilst Barnwood hosted Charfield second placed Frampton travelled to Stonehouse Reserves. Thankfully we had Stroud League official Mark Coates at Stonehouse to keep us updated via text.

Like the match with Old Richians the hosts started well. In fact, they started perfectly well. With just 5 minutes on the clock the impressive Dan Newman was felled in the box, leaving striker Oli Copley to step up and send the Charfield keeper Connor Frost the wrong way.

Just three minutes later a through ball appeared to be travelling through to Frost but the keeper was chased down by Barnwood winger Josh Philpotts before the forward slid in to the win the ball and tap in to an empty net to double Barnwood’s lead.

As the game in Gloucester levelled out and calmed down it was just hotting up in Stonehouse, with Frampton breaking the deadlock just short of the 20 minute mark.

Philpotts headed wide before Keenan Rankin-Woodhouse blasted an indirect free kick over as Barnwood tried to regain control.

Control was fully regained just before half time when a corner from the left was flapped at by Frost, leading to a six yard box scramble and the ball ending up in the net for a third. I’ve credited the goal to Demar Rankin-Woodhouse as it looked like he got the last touch. Simple really.

At the break Barnwood lead 3-0 and Frampton were 1-0 up meaning that Barnwood were champions by three goals.

Into the second half and the game became really scrappy, with Barnwood sitting deeper but Charfield lacking any quality to unlock the tight defence.

News broke that Frampton had gone 2-0 up at Stonehouse just as Scott Hall blasted a glorious chance over the bar from 18 yards. It was becoming anxious.

As we ticked into the last 10 minutes Charfield saw George Hemmings red carded for verbally abusing the referee and with that Charfield imploded.

Oli Copley came back onto the field and immediately scored his second and Barnwood’s fourth. After a long ball was again horribly dealt with by Frost, Copley was on hand to hook the ball goalwards and the Barnwood fans erupted.

With just two minutes left the craziest spell of football of the season took place. I received two text messages in a row, one said 3-0 Frampton then the other said 4-0 Frampton.

A third text came through to say that Frampton had made it 5-0 and had gone top but as I looked up Barnwood forward Tom Rich worked his way into space on the left hand side of the six yard box and squeezed in his shot at the near post. Frampton were top for what must have been 20 seconds.

A 90th minute Oli Copley finish saw the forward claim a hattrick and saw Barnwood win 6-0. And so the wait began as they played on at Stonehouse. An agonizing 8 minute wait and face time call for the Barnwood players before the full time result came in. Our man Tyrell Foster caught the moment, a moment you can see below.

Congratulations to both Frampton and Barnwood for an unbelievable run in and unfortunately there has to be a runner up in this situation. Barnwood win the league by just two goals.

In terms of man of the match for the Barnwood game it has to be forward Oli Copley. He worked tirelessly for the two stints he was on the field for and scored three very important goals as well as two assists. When Barnwood needed to stand up and be counted Copley did it superbly.