Superb Swans denied three points by injury time Ellis equaliser for Cirencester

Slimbridge were denied three points by an injury time equaliser from defender Ellis Dunton, as Cirencester Town came back from behind on three occasions to claim a 3-3 draw at the Corinium Stadium. 

The visitors took the lead in this local derby on 11 minutes, when a Joe Noakes knock down from a corner was palmed into the path of Will Hawes. Hawes rifled his effort into the roof of the net to put Slimbridge 1-0 up.

Cirencester nearly restored parity straight away but Alan Griffin could only send his rebound effort over the bar after Eric Edge had kept out the original effort.

Edge started in goal despite arriving at the Corinium late after his car had broken down and he was beaten with 10 minutes left of the first half when Adam Connolly beat him to a ball in to head home.

Slimbridge made a change at the break with scorer Hawes being replaced by Ewan Dunbar, a player who has improved as the season has gone on. Dunbar got straight into the action and put Slimbridge back in front within the first 90 seconds of the second half.

Dunbar got the run on his man to score an outrageous backheel past Cirencester keeper Martin Horsell. Slimbridge’s lead only last three minutes as Ciren levelled again. Henry Spalding’s deep cross from the left was turned into the Swans’ net. Striker Ben Whitehead wheeled away celebrating but it appeared to go in off Joe Noakes for an own goal.

Slimbridge pressed in search of a third and came close through Dean Turner and the impressive Dunbar before the latter scored his second and Slimbridge’s third just after the hour mark.

Dunbar latched onto a fantastic through ball by former Longlevens forward Myron Turner before going past Alexandru Albert and sliding the ball home to put the Swans ahead for the third time in the game.

Cirencester’s Connolly nearly scored his second of the game but he saw his header clawed out by a fantastic Eric Edge save. With twenty minutes left Charlie Griffin brought on Jordan Morris, Ellis Dunton & Aidan Bennett, as his side went in search of rescuing a point.

As we ticked towards stoppage time and Ciren pinned Slimbridge back, the Swans were defending resolutely and looked like they were going to hold on for a big three points.

They weren’t able to hold on though as the Centurions won a corner in the first minute of added time. The corner pinballed around the goalmouth before Dunton forced the ball home to ensure that both sides took a share of the spoils.

After nearly losing the game Cirencester nearly stole all three points in the dying moments. First, Eric Edge produced an outstanding save one on one with Ben Whitehead before Dunton looped his header against the Slimbridge crossbar.

It was a game Slimbridge will feel they should have won but it was also a game they nearly lost. The result keeps Cirencester Town in 5th place ahead of their home game versus AFC Totton on Saturday; whilst Slimbridge move up to 16th ahead of their trip to 3rd placed Moneyfields at the weekend.

Elsewhere, Evesham United moved up to 6th in the Southern League Divison One South after a Kye Simpson double saw them claim a 2-1 win away at Winchester City. 

Cirencester Town: Horsell, Christopher, L Spalding, Pook, Albert, Ouldridge, Anderson (Morris 72′), Connolly (Dunton 79′), Griffin (Bennett 67′), Whitehead, H Spalding

Subs Not Used: Freeman, Mortimer-Jones

Slimbridge: Edge, Maddock, King (Mbunga 89′), Pring, C Turner, Noakes, D Turner, M Turner, Martin, Hawes (Dunbar 46′), Smith

Subs Not Used: Hands, Harper-Emerson, Lomotey

Severn Sport Man Of The Match – Ewan Dunbar (Slimbridge)