Frampton beat Hardwicke on penalties to make Harry Greening Cup Final

Frampton United will contest the Harry Greening Cup Final, after beating fellow County League side Hardwicke on penalties at Glevum Park following a 1-1 draw. 

United came out of the blocks like a house on fire and took the game to Hardwicke in the early going, with Sean Lawson having his goalbound effort blocked in the opening 10 minutes.

Frampton didn’t have to wait too long for the opening goal and it came from the impressive Ryan Vincent. The man who made the squad for the Severn Sport Team Of The Month for September cut in from the right hand side and almost appeared to overrun it, but the forward’s left footed strike nestled in the bottom corner.

Hardwicke, who started a little nervously, grew into the game from there with James Ratcliffe’s ferocious free kick being tipped over the crossbar by Frampton stopper Steve Sparrow.

Ratcliffe turned provider for Hardwicke’s next opportunity, as his cross was turned up onto the crossbar by defender Pat Vernal.

With just ten minutes left before the break Ratcliffe stepped up to smash a free kick goalwards. His effort rebounded off posts before Sparrow tried to scramble it clear, the linesman flagged and the goal was given.

Into the second half and the challenges began flying in, with Hardwicke’s Craig Beaton colliding with Frampton’s Adam Cox. Cox was half a second late into the challenge and Hardwicke were livid. To the credit of Beaton he got up straight away and the referee diffused the situation well.

As Hardwicke pressed Frampton remained dangerous on the break through Lawson and Vincent, with the latter rounding Hobbs wide on the right hand side. Vincent’s ball into the box was diverted wide for a corner.

Inside the final 20 minutes and Vincent spurned a glorious opportunity after great work from Sean Lawson down the right. The Frampton forward could only divert the ball wide from inside the box.

As we ticked towards penalties Frampton began peppering the Hardwicke back line, with the final chance of the game falling to that man Vincent. Once again it was a ball from the right, but this time his downward header was spectacularly saved by Jacob Hobbs. And so we went to penalties.

Stuart Maule and Kieran Tracey both blasted over, before Manolo Espada and Craig Beaton exchanged coverted spotkicks. Ryan Vincent put Frampton in front before Richard Mansell made it 2-2.

After Frampton defender Nathan Dennis made it 3-2, Hardwicke goalkeeper Hobbs stepped up only to see his opposite number Sparrow make the all important crucial save. This left Sean Lawson to calmly stroke the ball into the top corner to win the game for Frampton.

Frampton United will play the winner of Taverners vs Stonehouse Town in the Harry Greening Cup Final with the second semi final taking place next Monday (5th November) at Tuffley Rovers’ Glevum Park. 

Hardwicke: Hobbs, Mansell, Beaton, Hine, Vernal, Gittins, Brice-Ingles, Tracey, Matthews, Webb, Ratcliffe

Subs: Eales, Davies

Frampton United: Sparrow, Thornton, Barrett, Cox, Dennis, Lewis, O’Neill, Bulley, Lawson, Vincent, Espada

Subs: Brown, Maule, Jackson

Severn Sport Man Of The Match – James Ratcliffe (Hardwicke)