Bishops Cleeve power through in cup after goal crazy second half

Bishops Cleeve scored six to win an eight goal cup tie against Kidlington Development 6-2, with 7 of the 8 goals coming in a crazy final half an hour of the game.

In a first half that lacked any real quality it was the visitors who started brightest, with Callum Rice testing Lewis Clayton inside the opening 10 minutes.

Former Cheltenham Town Academy player Lee Llewellyn had a shot from the edge of the box deflected just wide, with both sides struggling for rhythm and to retain possession.

On half an hour Harrison Iddles was bundled over in the area to give the Mitres the chance to convert from 12 yards, which forward Kevin Slack took by sending the keeper the wrong way.

Into the second half and Aaron Drake saw his header clawed out of the bottom corner by Nick Lacey as Bishops Cleeve looked to increase their intensity.

Stephen Cleal brought on Brad Martin as he looked for the goals to kill the tie. Martin should have scored straight away but somehow put the ball over from inside the six yard box as Slack drilled the ball in front the left.

Moments later Cleeve won a corner that was cleared to winger Jack Watts. He chested the ball down before rifling a 25 yard volley into the back of the net.

Suddenly, the game was opened up and Kidlington made it game on again with a looping Kevin Davies header. The impressive Lewis Clayton could do nothing about the header as the deficit was halved.

Following the goal the Kidlington bench became frustrated as Harrison Iddles was felled, the visitors believing the midfielder was going down too soft on a number of occasions.

In a crazy two minutes both sides exchanged goals. First, the visitors equalised when Jimmy Deabill tucked home the rebound after Jordon Parker’s shot had hit the bar.

The hosts went down the other end and Iddles found space on the right side of the box before side stepping the defender and poking the ball home.

Lewis Clayton kept his side’s lead in tact with a terrific save. The keeper threw himself to his right to claw out a Jack Johnson header that was heading for the top corner.

Two minutes later Brad Martin scored the fourth and gave Cleeve an important cushion with 15 minutes left. After left back Adam Mace found Jack Watts with an incredible diagonal pass, Watts’ ball across goal fell to Martin at the back post with the forward converted this time.

Martin turned provider with just over five minutes left as the former Longlevens man laid the ball to fellow substitute Elliot Kennedy, Kennedy then drilled the ball home for 5-2.

The scoring finished as it started, with Kevin Slack scoring. Adam Mace swung in a beautiful corner from the right that saw Slack rise higher than Kidlington keeper Lacey to head in a sixth.

Bishops Cleeve return to league action next weekend, when they travel to High Wycombe to take on Holmer Green in the Hellenic League Premier DIvision.

Bishops Cleeve: Clayton, Drake (Ford 70′), Mace, Ward, Tunnicliff, New, Iddles (Kennedy 75′), Llewellyn, Slack, Hall (Martin 59′), Watts

Subs Not Used: Hailwood

Kidlington Development: Lacey, Didcock, Johnson, Kidd, Spearman, Rice, Firkin, Parker (Walton 80′), Deabill, Morton, Davies

Subs Not Used: None

Severn Sport Man Of The Match – Kevin Slack (Bishops Cleeve)