Gloucestershire Football results – Saturday 17 March 2018

Wow, what a day of football involving our sides this afternoon. Goals were absolutely flying in and there were plenty in both of our featured games – eight in total.

Unfortunately for Longlevens, they were on the wrong end of a 4-0 scoreline as they came up against a seriously impressive Bracknell Town outfit.

Mark Moore’s side were dominated from start to finish and were it not for Ash Wintle you expect the scoring probably would’ve continued.

Joe Grant opened the scoring inside five minutes before Jamie McClurg doubled the advantage four minutes later. Grant added to his tally just after the half hour before TJ Bohane put the icing on the cake with an absolute thunderbolt.

Elsewhere, at the Jubilee Stadium, Gloucester City were the ones on the right side of the same scoreline, as they brushed aside Hungerford Town despite one of the worst first halves we’ve seen all season.

Marc Richards reacted to the poor display and shuffled the deck, a move that saw his side take the lead soon after the restart through Ed Williams. Joe Parker would strike a rocket into the top corner soon after the hour mark, before two pieces of brilliance from Harry Williams sent City fans home happy.

In League Two, Cheltenham Town rallied to claim a share of the points against Chesterfield after going a goal behind, whereas Forest Green Rovers fell down at the league leaders Accrington Stanley.

The Southern League West saw big results that could have implications at both ends of the table. Cirencester Town moved to within three points of the play-offs, seeing away strugglers Barnstaple Town on the road thanks to first half strikes from Ben Whitehead and Thomas Anderson.

Down at the bottom, Bishop’s Cleeve are now just seven points from safety with games in hand, as they defeated Larkhall Athletic. Cleeve still sit bottom but with Slimbridge losing 3-0 at Winchester, the Swans are very much looking over their shoulder.

Cinderford’s home clash with Paulton Rovers fell foul of the weather, with Shortwood probably wishing their game with Bideford did, too, as they were thrashed 6-0 at home by the play-off chasing side.

Moving on to the Hellenic and just one of our teams didn’t play, with Tuffley Rovers’ trip to Woodley United being postponed.

As mentioned Longlevens were lacklustre on the road at Bracknell, as were Lydney Town who went down 4-0 at Flackwell Heath as they continue to look down the table at teams below them – although with games in hand they have the edge.

Brimscombe & Thrupp claimed a very good win at a tricky Binfield side, as two penalties from Ash Caldwell and a header from Chris Greenhough gave Sam Prior’s side all three points.

Meanwhile at Cinder Lane, Fairford Town were absolutely rampant when welcoming Windsor, as Jody Bevan’s side ran out 6-2 winners with Liam Gale bagging himself a hat-trick and the match ball.

In the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League Division One only three games survived, as Longlevens Reserves were 1-0 winners at Bibury; spoils were shared between Leonard Stanley and Berkeley Town who drew 1-1 and Sharpness put four past Harrow Hill without reply.

Division Two saw slightly more games survive the weather, with Winchcombe Town’s game with Welland the pick of the bunch as it finished three goals each. Elsewhere Whitecroft won 3-1 at Smiths Athletic, as did Bredon at home to Abbeymead Rovers, whilst Broadwell Amateurs Res saw off Dursley Town 2-0.

Two games fell victim to the weather in the Gloucestershire County League, but the pick of the bunch of the ones that went ahead was Patchway Town’s 8-1 demolition of Southmead CS Athletic.

Stonehouse Town beat Hardwicke AFC 5-2, Ruardean Hill Rangers ran out convincing 3-0 winners at home to Wick, whilst Broadwell Amateurs and Frampton United were both 2-0 winners against Gala Wilton and Hanham Athletic respectively.

The only other game to go ahead in that league saw a 1-1 draw between Henbury and Lebeq United.

In the Stroud & District League there was a huge result at the top of the table as Barnwood United toppled league leaders Tredworth Tigers 3-2, to go within one point of Tredworth with a game in hand over them.

Elsewhere Tetbury Town defeated strugglers Stroud United, whilst Kingswood Res and Wotton Rovers drew 1-1.