Webley shines as Bourton advance to the final

Adam Webley grabbed a crucial goal and assist to help his Bourton Rovers side to a clinical 3-1 win against Longlevens Reserves, a win that sees Bourton make the GFA Amateur Cup final.

Bourton started well and immediately peppered the Longlevens box with long throw ins and deep crosses. It was from one of the former that saw the deadlock broken. A long throw in on the right was held up at the near post before the ball was poked home by forward Josh Fielding.

The hosts nearly doubled their lead when Webley kept a cross alive on the left hand side of the box. The striker had the presence of mind to back heel into the path of winger Dan Smith, but his effort went over.

Longlevens threatened on the break throughout the first half without carving out any shots at goal for long spells and it they were nearly made to pay when keeper Liam Best’s kick was blocked by Webley, only for the rebound to fall just wide.

Longlevens full back Jamie Simpson produced a magnificent piece of defending when Fielding found himself one on one. He lifted the bouncing ball up over the on rushing Best and as he waited for the ball to drop out of the sky for a simple nod home, Simpson got back to head the ball away from under his own crossbar.

Fielding went close again minutes later but was denied by Best.

The visitors managed to get their first couple of efforts in on goal just minutes before half time. After a beautiful piece of footwork by centre back Scott Dee on the halfway line the ball was played to Filton Gardiner who won a corner with a mazy run. From the corner a volley by Jake Wellington was heading into the corner of the net, only to be beaten away by Kevin Goodwill in the Bourton goal.

The rain fell during the break and continued into the second half, which made the start of the second period feel like the latter rounds of a heavyweight boxing match. Grueling conditions with two sides just slugging it out.

Connor Linham for Longlevens and Fielding for Bourton exchanged shots for either side before Bourton extended their lead.

After a diagonal ball to the Bourton right was kept alive by Webley, the forward turned and whipped in a cross that was thundered into the bottom corner from the head of midfielder Danny Way. It was Ibrahimovic against Southampton in August 2017-esque.

Bourton had complete control thanks to the second and Longlevens began to lose composure. Billy Barlow was harshly booked for a challenge but then substitute Martel Sutherland was booked for being late into a 50/50. The Bourton bench were livid but credit to Bourton’s Sam Tyack who didn’t milk it and probably did Sutherland a favour.

Liam Best produced a simply world class save to deny the impressive Danny Way a second. Way’s volley from 18 yards was flying towards the goal only to be stopped by a strong right glove up by Best.

Best would be beaten for a third time minutes later though. After a corner was cleared back out to the Bourton left, the follow up cross was deemed to have hit a hand. Webley stepped up to send best the wrong way and ensure victory.

Longlevens grabbed a late consolation though. The player who looked most likely throughout, Connor Linham won and converted a stoppage time spot kick to reduce the deficit. With first team manager Mark Moore in attendance, at least it was something to take away for the winger.

Bourton won the game with ease in the end. As mentioned earlier Longlevens lost their composure in the second half and it can be summed up by a straight red card for the already booked Martel Sutherland.

Substitute Billy Barlow broke the offside trap and as he tried to lift the ball over Bourton keeper Goodwill, who was 30 yards out of his net, saw the ball rebound off the keeper’s arm…no free kick given.

This incensed Longlevens and after over aggressive dissent by Sutherland, he was dismissed.

Bourton advance to the final where they will play Cam Bulldogs, who beat Moreton 4-0 in the other semi final. The final is scheduled to be played at Slimbridge’s Thornhill Park on Thursday 19th April, but we have been told that is still TBC.

Severn Sport Man Of The Match: Adam Webley (Bourton Rovers)