Brimscombe advance in cup with win over Tuffley

Brimscombe & Thrupp advanced to the next round of the Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup with a win over Tuffley Rovers at Glevum Park.

A second half strike from Ollie Pitt to add to Harrison Reeves’ effort was enough to see off the hosts, who enjoyed more of the ball than their visitors but ultimately just weren’t clinical enough.

The two sides are separated by eight points and four positions in the Hellenic Premier so far this season, and it was the higher-ranked visitors who looked to grab the game early on.

Some neat build up play by Sam Blackie allowed Ashley Caldwell a chance on goal and although he fired wide, it was a sign of things to come as Brimscombe had the chance to go one-up from the penalty spot inside the opening 10 minutes.

It was left for Pitt to convert the spot kick after Liam Wright was adjudged to have committed a foul in the box despite protests coming that the infringement was outside the area. However, Pitt would make no mistake, sending his side into the lead.

The match fired into a frenzy a quarter of an hour in, as Shan Anson appeared to kick out at Caldwell despite it going unnoticed, before Danny Wallington flew into a tackle which went unpunished.

Brimscombe should have been two-up but for a great piece of defending by Wright, as he headed clear a whipped cross from the left with Pitt lurking in behind for an easy finish.

The visitors started brightly in the second half; Pitt shot straight at Evans as did half time substitute Edward Major, but the Tuffley shot-stopper could do nothing to avert himself from picking the ball out of the net for a second time.

Sam Prior’s side were enjoying possession down the right and worked the ball well down the flank. The ball eventually fell to Harrison Reeves 25 yards from goal and he struck a fierce effort straight through Evans to send the visitors into a two-goal advantage.

Shayne Bradley should have halved the deficit just before the hour as a good chance fell to him on the edge of the box, but Skyers made a good reaction save.

Bradley would make no mistake the next time he found the goal in his sight, though, as Brett James made an opportunity for the former Southampton striker who would prod home from six yards.

Tuffley’s young duo of Cam Williams and Kieran Alder were a sight to behold as the game wore on, taking advantage of some tired Brimscombe legs. The two exchanged passes well and a cross eventually came from Alder that Skyers claimed.

Late pressure came from Tuffley as they searched for an equaliser to send the game to penalties, but it was not to be on the night and Brimscombe ran out deserved winners.

Tuffley Rovers: Evans; Hill, Squires, Wallington (Walker 80), Wright; Emery (Foxwell 55), Anson, Alder, James; Bradley, Ford (Williams 55). Subs not used: O’Leary, Pritchett.

Brimscombe & Thrupp: Skyers; Pitts, Pates, Greenhough, Evans (Hill 84); Deakin (Major 34), Reeves, Simpson, Pitt; Caldwell (Marks 69), Blackie. Sub not used: Gale.

Star man: Harrison Reeves