REPORT – AFC Totton 2-0 Slimbridge

Two fatal defensive errors was the difference between these two sides which resulted in the Swans returning back from Hampshire pointless.
On a bitterly cold afternoon, in front of 251 supporters and with a surprisingly flat surface to play on, which was a credit to the Totton ground staff, it was the home side who exerted the early pressure.

Nathaniel Sherborne went close for Totton in the second minute when his free kick from 20 yards went just past George Burton’s post.
With just 11 minutes on the clock the Stags went ahead in rather Bizarre fashion.
A free kick was awarded just inside the Swans half and was taken quickly by an alert Michael Gosney who spotted Burton off his line, Burton struggled to control the ball as he back peddled and it appeared to finally go into the goal via the post and Burton’s hand.
Totton’s winger Nick Watts was causing the Swans defence all sorts of problems with his pace up the right and a cross by Watts in the 17th minute just evaded the head of the onrushing Mark Gamble.

In the Swans first real attack after 20 minutes Paul Fahy forced a corner with some good work on the right but Adam Mace’s kick was fired well over by Dean Turner.
On 28 minutes a good cross from Fahy was headed just over by Jamie Martin as the Swans tried to get back on level terms.
Slimbridge were applying a bit of pressure themselves now and a good ball into the box by Callum Brown caused problems for the Stags defence as Richard Thwaite’s header was cleared for a corner.
Controversy arose in the 38th minute as Fahy escaped the Stage defence as was bearing down on goal when he appeared to be tripped by Liam Hibberd, who had already been cautioned for a foul on Freddy Ward, but referee James Robinson waved the Swans appeals away,much to the annoyance of the Slimbridge players and supporters and resulted in Robinson having to hold up play and give the Swans Captain Alex Hoyle a good talking to.

Hoyle did not help himself just two minutes later as his name was added to Robinson’s notebook for a clinical foul on Gosney.
Totton started the second half as they did the first and Mark Gamble went close after 50 minutes when he controlled a cross well but fired his shot just wide.
Gosney was next in the referees notebook for a poor looking challenge on Sam Turl as the game hotted up.
Adam Mace was putting some dangerous looking balls into the Stags box and one such ball nearly resulted in Martin equalising but he could not stretch far enough to reach the ball.

Slimbridge should have been level on 62 minutes when Turl’s cross from the right found Dean Turner who was well placed to fire the ball into the net but Jamie Martin stole the ball from his feet and shot tamely wide much to the disgust of Turner.
Burton made a fine stop on 65 minutes when he pushed away a goal bound effort by Marc Diaper.

Swans manager Leon Sterling replaced Martin with Sean Lawson in an attempt to find an equaliser but disaster was to strike on 70 minutes when a cross from the left was headed by Richard Thwaite straight into the path of Gamble who had the easy task of firing the ball low past the helpless Burton to increase the Stags lead.
As the Swans pushed forward in an attempt to get back into the game a good cross by Fahy found Lawson who forced a corner with a good shot but it was easily cleared.
At the other end Nathan Sherborne headed inches over but as the clock wound down it was the Swans who had the final chance of the game when Lawson, who did well to retrieve the ball from the goal line and cross for substitute Liam Antonio Orchard but the latters shot from 8yards out went well high and wide which just about summed up the Swans afternoon.

Slimbridge now turn their intentions to next Saturday when high flying Taunton Town are the visitors to Wisloe Road, 3pm and on Tuesday evening they make the journey down to M5 to face a struggling Bridgwater Town side, 7.45pm.

Burton,Turl, Brown ( Antonio Orchard 73) Hoyle,Rich Thwaite,Ward,Turner(Ryan Thwaite 70) Twyman, Fahy, Martin (Lawson 63) Mace.

Supporters man of the match: Paul Fahy.