REPORT – Worcester City 1-2 Gloucester City

A spirited comeback from Gloucester City saw the Tigers claim all three points at Aggborough as goals from Harry Williams and Billy Jones cancelled out Deon Burton’s opener writes Kelsey De Maria.

Both sides started strong as Jones crossed from deep but Nathan Vaughan rose above the attackers to claim the cross.

A free kick from the touchline by Joe Hanks was flicked on by Sam Avery towards goal but once more Vaughan was there to gather.

The hosts had their first sight of goal as Ellis Deeney worked himself some space in the box before curling an effort at Jasbir Singh who had to turn behind.

Worcester had the lead after sustained pressure. Nelson-Addy cannoned a header off the bar before Deon Burton nodded home the rebound.

Singh was in action again as he produced a magnificent save low down to his left after Daniel Nti combined well with Nelson-Addy.

The Tigers grew back into the game though, as Harry Williams worked it onto his weaker left foot before rattling the post with a curled effort.

A strong run from Lewis Hall should have been rewarded with a goal but for a superb clearance. Billy Jones could only shoot over with the follow up.

Towards the end of the half though, the Tigers had the equaliser that came largely against the run of play.

Hall surged forward with a powerful run before eventually spreading it wide to Harry Williams who’s shot was deflected off a Worcester defender and in.

Nti nearly scored within moments of the restart as he once again cut inside to beat Green before curling a shot that looked destined for the top corner, but it shaved the post.

The referee pointed to the spot for the Tigers just after thanks to another wonderful run from Hall as he was brought down by a combination of Jackman and Cleet.

Jones stepped up to calmly slot the penalty home, sending Nathan Vaughan the wrong way.

Former Cheltenham Town man Shaun Harrad nearly equalised for the home side after the ball found its way to his feet but he could not direct an effort goalwards.

Substitute Calvin Dinsley, just returning from a three game suspension, was immediately in the thick of things as he drew a cynical foul 30 yards from goal.

Jones stepped up to strike a rasping, low free kick at Vaughan’s goal who had to be equal to it, getting down low to turn around the post.

Despite late pressure from Worcester, the Tigers managed to hold on to claim their eighth victory in nine attempts against their divisional rivals.

Worcester City: Vaughan, Minhan, Jackman (Vincent 89’), Donnellan, Sharpe, Cleet (Gater 63’), Nti, Deeney (capt), Burton (Harrad 67’), Nelson-Addy, Dunkley

Subs: Ross, Weir

Gloucester City: Singh, Green (Dinsley 80’), Jones, Cundy, Avery, Hall (E. Williams 87’), Webb (capt), Knowles, H. Williams, Hopper, Hanks

Subs: Anoruo, M. Williams, Parker

Referee: Ben Cooke

Attendance: 812

Star man: Lewis Hall