FA CUP REPORT – Leiston 1-3 Gloucester City

Kelsey De Maria for Severn Sport

A professional performance from Gloucester City saw them reach the 4th Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup once more as they saw off a gallant Leiston 3-1.

All the early pressure was coming from the visitors and an early shot from Bermuda international Jonté Smith was calmly collected by Ashlee Jones.

On loan Swindon Town striker Joshua Cooke was making a nuisance of himself early on as he turned on the edge of the box but his shot was deflected into Jones’ hands.

A mix up between Jasbir Singh and Matt Williams nearly saw the hosts take the lead but the Tigers’ skipper recovered to divert Patrick Brothers’ shot behind.

The Tigers’ strikers were causing havoc for Leiston’s centre halves as Smith went up for a header that was narrowly wide.

The breakthrough came soon after as Joe Hanks burst through the final line of defence before being clattered by goalkeeper Jones who duly saw red.

In the absence of regular penalty taker Billy Jones, George Miller stepped up to send replacement ‘keeper Ben Vincent the wrong way.

City were let off after John Sands missed an easy header at the back post when he really should have scored.

After the restart, Tom Webb tried an ambitious effort from the corner of the box that was inches wide.

The second goal came courtesy of Smith following a superb mazy run. The Bermuda international beat three men before finishing with aplomb.

With all the pressing coming from City they were unlucky not to have a third. Matt Williams played a superb pass to Lewis Hall who’s cross was acrobatically cleared by Boardley.

Ben Vincent produced a great stop low to his left to deny a rasping effort from Lewis Hall.

City’s third came through Swindon Town loanee Cooke following a brilliant through ball from Smith and Cooke rounded the ‘keeper to slot into an empty net.

With time running out, Leiston began to press further and they had their chance to kick start a comeback as they were awarded penalty following a foul by Matt Williams.

Stuart Broadley stepped up confidently to take the penalty but his effort was tame and Singh saved, but he could only parry straight back to Broadley who slotted home the rebound.

Despite this, the Tigers survived any potential comeback as they booked their place in the 4th Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup once again.

Leiston: Jones, Saker (Cunningham 70’), Dunbar, Boardley, Jefford, Bullard (capt), Francis (Vincent (GK) 27’), Heathe, Ottley-Gooch, Sands (Winter 64’), Brothers

Subs: Baker, Taylor, Finch

Gloucester City: Singh, Green, Bowen, Williams (capt), Avery, Miller, Hanks (Orenuga 70’), Webb (Knowles 61’), Cooke (Symons 90’), Smith, Hall

Subs: Liddiard, Hamilton, Richards, Hannah (GK)

Referee: Neil Hair

Attendance: 329

Star man: George Miller