REPORT – Slimbridge 0-4 Yate Town

A sluggish performance from the Swans saw them put to the sword by Yate Town at Wisloe Road this afternoon. The home side appeared to be suffering the after effects of their exertions at North Leigh in midweek, and failed to muster a shot on target during the whole 90 minutes. Another early penalty was conceded, this time being converted, and from there on in, there was no way back for Slimbridge, who need to regroup for their FA Cup tie at Egham Town next weekend.

After Dean Turner, via Sean Lawson and Scott Bamford had created an opportunity resulting in a dangerous cross wicht none of the Swans’ attackers could connect with, it was a contentious penalty that set the visitors on their way – There seemed to be minimal contact between Alex Hoyle and Yate’s Alec Fiddes, but Referee Simon Wales pointed to the spot, and Darren Edwards beat Dave Evans low down to his right to put the visitors on top.

Edwards again went close on 23 minutes with a back header from a dangerous long throw, but it was only to be another couple of minutes before the lead was doubled. Fiddes, who put in a sterling performance for Yate, drilled a dangerous shot in which Evans saved at the foot of his right post. Edwards reacted the quickest to the loose ball and notched his second of the afternoon.

Slimbridge’s plans to come out early in the second period to put pressure on their opponents were undone two minutes into the half, when Jake Jackson was allowed far to make space to beat Evans with a good strike, and effectively put the game to bed.

On 55 minutes, Camen Harvey picked up a nasty looking injury after falling badly trying to follow up another Jackson effort which had rebounded back in to play off the post, and, after a lengthy delay, was stretchered from the pitch.

Two minutes from time, a neat Yate passing move was finished off well by Fiddes to record Yate’s fourth.

A bad day for Slimbridge took a turn for the worse when Keeper Dave Evans had to be stretchered from the pitch at full time after a collision in the final seconds of the game.

The Swans travel to Egham Town next Saturday for an FA Cup tie (3.00pm). Players and fans’ transport leaves Wisloe Road at 10.15am.

Team: Evans, Turl, Ryan Thwaite, Hoyle, Greening, Turner, Twyman, Blackie (Hammond 71), Lawson (Martin 68), Bamford, Mace (Tunnicliff 55)

Supporters Man of the Match: Ciaran Greening