Tigers Progress In Fa Trophy

Conor Waldon’s second half effort saw Gloucester City seal their passage into the FA Trophy First Round with a solid victory at Boreham Wood.

An awful backpass from Wood skipper Charlie O’Loughlin was pounced on by the 18-year-old, who rounded goalkeeper James Russell to poke home.

O’Loughlin had a goal disallowed in the opening minutes and full-back Mike Green produced a sensational goalline clearance with the North London side dominant in the first half.

Raheem Sterling-Parker was sent off after a horror tackle on Matt Groves as City held on for a brilliant Trophy win.

As City looked to progress past the Third Qualifying Round for only the second time in eight seasons; their efforts almost started calamitously as Charlie O’Loughlin jumped and headed in on six minutes, but the big defender clearly fouled Mike Green in the build-up.

City were on the ropes as David Moll powered through and lobbed over Green, only to see the ball bounce agonisingly wide.

Graeme Montgomery then sliced over the bar from 20 yards out as the Tigers failed to find any rhythm.

The Tigers first chance came on 27 minutes, Matt Groves produced a sumptuous ball into the area but came slightly behind Swindon Town loanee Connor Waldon who couldn’t connect properly as it ventured wide.

Only the heroics of full-back Mike Green saved City soon after, Moll had the entire goal to aim at after a brief game of pinball in the six yard box, but Green slid out of nowhere to deny the former Wolverhampton Wanderers man; a brilliant piece of defending.

The last piece of action in a fairly one-sided half saw Greg Morgan evade the challenges of young Danny Haile and Jack Harris only for his shot to deflect over.

City burst out after the restart and registered their first shot on target with Groves testing James Russell from 25 yards.

Darren Edwards followed by heading wide after a neat ball from the ex-Yate Town man.

City then took the lead, O’Loughlin passed horrendously back to Russell, Waldon pounced and rounded the keeper to tap home; great persistence by the 18-year-old.

The North London side attempted to level it soon after, but Montgomery’s curling effort was yards wide.

Ian Allenson, manager of Boreham Wood, attempted to throw the dice with a triple substitution; which almost immediately worked for Sterling-Parker testing Green.

Jordan Goddard blasted over the bar from a corner minutes after as City looked to double their lead.

The game changed with 10 minutes remaining as substitute Sterling-Parker scythed down Groves for a straight red card.

Boreham Wood attempted to equalise but City held firm and will be in the hat for the FA Trophy First Round.

Boreham Wood: J. Russell, B. Nunn, J. Jibodu, L. Garrard (Ball 72), C. O’Loughlin, C. Reynolds, G. Morgan, S. Cox, D. Moll (Sterling-Parker 72), A. Lipman (Whichelow 72), G. Montgomery

Subs not used: R. Hastings, J. Courtnage

Gloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, D. Haile, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Webb, J. Goddard, D. Mullings, D. Edwards, C. Waldon (Morford 78), M. Groves (Liddiard 85)

Subs not used: S. Turl, S. Wilson, J. Parker

Goals: Waldon 57