Disappointing Swans Crash Out Of FA Vase

The Swans crashed out of the FA Vase at the Memorial Ground on Saturday, after a disappointing display in Surrey. After failing to take advantage of their first half superiority, Slimbridge were undone by an impressive hat trick from Farnham’s Jon Goznal, conceding three goals in the last 17 minutes of the game. Aaron Nash got on the scoresheet for the Swans, whose miserable afternoon was topped off by the 93rd minute dismissal of Jamie Martin, dismissed for a second yellow card in a bad tempered finale to the afternoon. Slimbridge made by far the better start to the game, and Martin shot over with eight minutes on the clock, after good work by Dominique Njoya, Liam Harding and Dylan Ford, a Hartpury College student making his first appearance for the side. The first corner of the game, on 12 minutes saw a scramble in the Farnham box, and the ball cleared, but a powerful run by Jack Twyman deserved better than to have his shot blocked as the Swans applied pressure on the home side. Twyman was instrumental in what was to prove to be Slimbridge’s best chance of the half on 16 minutes, when his through ball to Martin saw the striker’s shot bring a good save from Farnham Keeper Richard Ossai. At this stage of the game, Farnham were reduced to long range efforts, with Simon Wright’s effort on 24 minutes which went well wide, being the sum total of their attacking opportunities early in the game. Jamie Martin was working tirelessly up front, and could be deemed to be unfortunate when he picked up a yellow card from Referee Joel Mannix for use of the elbow as he battled for possession. It was against the run of play when the home side took the lead on 36 minutes – the Swans defence failed to deal with a fairly regulation cross from Josh Dixon, and Jon Goznal was left in space to guide the ball past Dave Evans with a simple header. Buoyed by their lead, Farnham finished the half on top, with Jack Dillian going close with a cross-cum-shot just before the break, but the advantage remained a single goal at the break. The second half started much more evenly, with Harding combining well with Lewis Watts, another Hartpury student making his first appearance, but Watts’ shot was blocked on the edge of the box. At the other end, Dillian went close with a shot after being played in by Will Neville on 49 minutes. Farnham had the best opportunity of the early exchanges, when Dixon and Goznal played some neat passes on the left flank, playing in Ben Williams, whose dangerous cross was well dealt with by Will Wellon, clearing the ball from danger. On the hour, Slimbridge had a great chance to grab the equaliser, but Nash’s decision the try and find Jamie Martin when the striker was well placed to shoot himself proved costly. As Slimbridge pressed, Sean Bennet was unlucky to see his effort go out for a goal kick after he had reached the ball ahead of Ossai, but Farnham broke and notched their second goal on 73 – minutes – a superb break and three quick passes saw Goznal in space in the Slimbridge box, and he made no mistake to double the home side’s advantage. Two minutes later, Aaron Nash was scythed down in the Farnham box, but inexplicably, Referee Mannix waved play on, and as temperatures became raised on the pitch, tackles started flying in from both sides. Bennett picked up the Swans’ second yellow off the afternoon for a late challenge. Goznal completed his hat trick on 78 minutes, with a stunning 20 yard strike to kill the game off. Slimbridge continued to press and were finally rewarded two minutes later when Aaron Nash latched onto Alex Parrott’s through ball to pull a goal back for the visitors. Jack Dillian’s free header for Farnham’s fourth just rubbed salt in the Swans’ wounds, and the dismissal of Martin in stoppage time topped off a disappointing day for Slimbridge. The Swans travel to Cirencester Development on Tuesday for a GFA Challenge Trophy Second Round tie (7.45pm) before entertaining high flying Street at Wisloe Road next Saturday (3.00pm). Team: Evans, Hughes, Njoya, Bennett, Wellon, Ward (Turner 73), Twyman (Parrott 66), Harding, Martin, Watts (Nash 58), Ford Supporters Man of the Match: Dominique Njoya