Long Trips Take Toll On Tigers

By Simon Clark

Workington AFC 4-2 Gloucester City


After clocking up 1000 miles in a week, it was certainly a case of a trip too far for Gloucester City as a disappointing second performance saw the Tigers lose at Workington.

However, with two goals disallowed in the wide open first half, on another day it could’ve been Dave Mehew’s men leaving Borough Park the happier.

A Jack Harris header and a Darren Edwards penalty had seen the Tigers level at half time, but a rifled effort from substitute Ben McKenna and a bullet header from Josef Jackson sealed City’s fate.

Scott Allison had opened the scoring in the 23rd minute with Ross Wilson making it 2-1 five minutes before the break.

On an uncharacteristically balmy day in deepest Cumbria, City – who stayed overnight in Lancaster – looked the sprightlier and had the ball in the net after eight minutes with Will Morford knocking home Lewis Hogg’s teasing free kick; only for the linesman’s flag to deny City a dream start.

Gloucester were undoubtedly the better team in the opening minutes, with only a tame effort from Allison testing Mike Green for the Reds.

The contest burst into life after Allison tore down the right and unleashed a fizzing shot into the low right corner past an outstretched Green for the lead.

But, almost immediately after City won a free kick which Hogg delivered on a plate for Harris to smash home from close range; all level.

Mehew’s men were unlucky not to be in the lead shortly after with Edwards tapping in at the back post; but the linesman had flagged for Morford who was in an offside position – much to the anger of the City number nine.

Green was called into duty and denied Workington’s Wilson with a spectacular save, however he could do nothing about his second effort five minutes after which was sweetly struck from 25 yards out and pounded in off the left post.

The Tigers continued their positive attacking play and only a superb stop from Jonathan Mitchell denied Edwards.

A penalty was awarded shortly after with Tom Hamblin being manhandled in the box, which Edwards slotted home in his trademark business-like style to equalise.

After the interval Edwards continued to be a nuisance up top and once again Mitchell made a superb stop after Tyler Weir had played a sumptuous defence-splitting ball.

But, the pressure counted for nothing with super sub McKenna storming down the City right hand side to find the slightest gap and fizz the ball under Green for a third.

The game’s momentum changed; City suddenly were disjointed and chances for the forward trio of Edwards, Morford and substitute Wilson were lacking.

Workington seized the opportunity and peppered City’s goal with shots, the best of which seeing Green just about stopping an effort which had been viciously deflected.

The clincher came with 15 to go, a brilliant corner found the head of Jackson who cannoned the ball into the net and saw off the Tigers hopes.

Workington: J. Mitchell, D. Kennedy, G. Skelton, K.May, D. Wordsworth, S. Hindmarch, C. Tinnion (Elam 76), D. Lynch, R. Wilson, J. Jackson (Wright 83), S.Allison (McKenna 48)

Subs Not Used: L. Andrews, G. Conway

Goals: Allison 22, Wilson 40, McKenna 59, Jackson 76

Gloucester City: M. Green, S. Rawlings, T. Weir, T. Hamblin, J. Harris, T. Webb (Green 76), L. Hogg, D. Mullings, D. Edwards, W. Morford (Turl 72), J. Edge (Wilson 59)

Subs Not Used: M. Groves, N. Mustoe

Goals: Harris 23, Edwards (p) 45+2