Tigers Draw With Guiseley

A Darren Edwards second half penalty secured Gloucester City a well-earned point against promotion candidates Guiseley.

Michael Potts had put the Yorkshire outfit into an early lead after a mix-up in the Tigers defence allowed the diminutive midfielder to poke home.

Following a number of positives tactical changes from Tigers boss Dave Mehew, the wind was in the City sails and Danny Ellis brought down Scott Wilson for a penalty that Edwards scored with consummate ease.

Both sides had a goal disallowed during the game; firstly Wilson’s tap-in was flagged off, followed by a stoppage time Adam Priestley effort to deny the visitors a winner.

In the Skrill North’s big cat derby, with the Tigers taking on the Lions, both sides failed to roar early on and were evenly matched.

The first notable effort of the game came from Darren Mullings, who couldn’t keep his header down from a Lewis Hogg corner.

With 18 minutes on the clock, a storming run from Gavin Rothery after a poor ball from Matt Coup saw the City defence in tatters as Michael Potts stormed through in the penalty area to caress home.

The goal saw new impetus in the City attack and after nice play between Matt Groves and Wilson on the left; Hogg flew in at the back post but couldn’t keep the header down.

The Tigers were the more positive heading into the break, and had the ball in the net when Wilson tapped home Edwards’ half-shot; only for the linesman’s flag to rise; it was a tight decision.

The visitors started the better after the break with Rhys Meynell’s effort whizzing over the crossbar from afar, followed by a similar effort from Craig Hobson.

Mehew used his strong bench to full capabilities and injected new life into the City attack which saw the Yorkshiremen on the ropes for a good 10 minutes.

Firstly Hogg had burst down the right but fluffed his lines when he entered the six yard box; this was quickly followed by a piledriver effort from Jamie Edge that flew wide.

The ball found its way to man-of-the-match Wilson who danced through the Guiseley defence before being brought down by Ellis for a penalty which Edwards easily tucked away to equalise.

City found themselves with a free kick in a dangerous position soon after which Hogg curled inches past the right hand post.

In the dying seconds of the game, a loose ball cannoned to Mike Green who fumbled the ball into the path of Priestley who tucked home what he, and the travelling contingent from Yorkshire, thought was the winner; but the linesman’s rogue flag denied those celebrations.

It was a game deserving of a draw as City consolidate an early Midtable place in the Skrill North.

Gloucester City: M. Green, T. Hamblin (Edge 57), T. Weir, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Webb (Parker 70), L. Hogg, D. Mullings, D. Edwards, S. Wilson, M. Groves (Morford 57)

Sub’s Not Used: S. Rawlings, M. Liddiard

Goals: Edwards (pen) 73

Guiseley: S. Drench, J. Rea, R. Meynell, M. Potts, D. Ellis, J. Ible, W. Brooksby (Dale 85), A. Holdsworth, C. Hobson (Burgess 76), P. Marsh (Priestley 76), G. Rothery

Sub’s Not Used: J. Lawlor, S. Harris

Goals: Potts 18

Attendance: 284