Longlevens have confirmed that they will be withdrawing from the County Cup for the season, after their tie with Hallen has been postponed, again.
The Hellenic Premier side announced the decision to withdraw from the GFA Challenge Trophy after a fourth unsuccessful to get the game on this week.
The tie was originally postponed due to the rain and general bad weather causing Levens’ Saw Mills pitch become very heavy.
Then, last week the Hellenic League side offered to switch the game so that Hallen would host the tie – however once again another heavy downpour saw the game fall foul of the weather again.
Now, with the game scheduled to take place on Wednesday (15th January), the bad weather to start this week has forced the club to take the action to help preserve the pitch ahead of catching up on a back log of games.
In a statement released on social media, the club have said:
“After the 4th attempt of trying to arrange this fixture and the weather stopping us play every time, with the back log of league fixtures we’ve decided as a club to pull our 1sts out of the this competition for the season.”
First team manager Craig Martin confirmed the decision to Severn Sport and admitted that the decision is one that wasn’t taken lightly.
“As a club we are always proud to play in as many competitions as possible to show everyone what we are capable of.
We simply tried everything to get this game on, postponing a week to see if the weather improves, switching the fixture to Hallen’s ground – but it seems that this game was never destined to happen!
Due to the bad weather we have a fixture pile up that sees us scheduled to play in league games every midweek for the next month or so and we have a Floodlit Cup fixture to fit in too.
Being honest, there is a part of us that had to prioritise the games coming up and the decision was made to withdraw from the competition.
But it is one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make and as a club we haven’t made the decision without making sure it was the best thing for the club.
I would like to wish everyone at Hallen good luck for the rest of the competition and thank them for their help in trying to get the game on.
Our focus now switches to the trip to Ardley on Saturday and hopefully if the weather let’s us, we can then look forward to a local derby with Brimscombe next Wednesday,” said Martin.