Slimbridge hold on for a point after being two goals up against Barnstaple Town

Slimbridge were left frustrated after Barnstaple Town came back to 2-0 down to earn a 2-2 draw and were ultimately fortunate to hold on for a point after a barnstorming second half from the visitors. 

A poor first half only really sprung into life after 20 minutes when Jamie Martin was played in on the right side of the box, but the Slimbridge forward could only find the side netting.

Martin then had a near post effort blocked after Will Hawes turned his man on the left side of the area. The visitors came into the game from there, with Lewis Adams saving from Jack Jenkins, Scott Sharp and Chris Holland.

Just when it looked like we would be going in at half time goalless, Will Hawes found space 20 yards from goal and he fizzed a low effort in off the post. Slimbridge had taken the lead right on half time and looked to kick on from there.

Within five minutes of the start of the second half they did just that when neat play down the left saw Danny King get in behind full back Sol Wheatley.

The on-loan Gloucester City winger pulled the ball back and after his initial effort was blocked, Hawes doubled his tally and gave Slimbridge a 2-0 lead.

Suddenly the heavens opened and the rain began to belt down and within minutes Barnstaple had halved the deficit.

Wheatley bolted down the right hand side and crossed into the Slimbridge box. The clearance fell to Jack Jenkins who curled home from just inside the box.

From there Barnstaple saw a lot of the ball but couldn’t really penetrate the Slimbridge defence, with Lewis Adams fairly quiet bar a couple of corners.

With just under 20 minutes left though the visitors got the equaliser that their play warranted and it came through substitute Jack Lethaby-Rice, who side stepped on-loan full back Archie Brennan.

Wheatley nearly completed the comeback just 90 seconds later, but after the right back ended up in the left forward position he could only fire across goal and wide.

Substitute and former Slimbridge man Tornado Bello nearly won it with two minutes left but his goalbound effort was deflected wide for a corner.

In the end Slimbridge huffed and puffed during the second half but had to do a lot of defending against a very game Barnstaple Town side. The end result is one which sees both sides disappointed to only take a point from a winnable game.

Slimbridge stay 17th in the league table and remain 7 points clear of the drop after every other side lost around them. Barnstaple remain bottom and six points from safety in the Southern League Division One South.

Slimbridge: Adams, Brown, Brennan, Noakes, Jackson (Magee 86′), C Turner, D Turner, Smith (M Turner 82′), Martin (Dunbar 82′), Hawes, King

Subs Not Used: Lomotey, Mendes

Barnstaple Town: Oliver, Wheatley, Reed, Cameron, Montague, A Harper-Penman, J Harper-Penman, Jenkins, Langford (Bello 82′), Sharp (Lethaby-Rice 46′), Holland

Subs Not Used: Cann, Glover, Humphreys

Severn Sport Man Of The Match – Joe Noakes (Slimbridge)


Check out Saturday’s results in and around the county right here