Cirencester Town end year in play off spots after five star display against Bristol Manor Farm

Cirencester Town capped off 2018 by moving into the play-off places of the Southern  League Division One South, after beating Bristol Manor Farm 5-0 at the Corinium Stadium. 

Braces for Ben Whitehead & Alan Griffin after Jack Freeman’s opener saw Charlie Griffin’s men end the calendar with 4 wins out of their last 6 games, including two wins at home in a row.

The result along with Melksham Town’s 3-0 defeat at Evesham United sees the Centurions move up to 5th and sees them occupying the final play off spot going into the New Year.

Cirencester started slowly, with Bristol Manor Farm making a bright start. Winger Jordon Lam was slipped in down the right hand side of the box, but his poked effort went underneath Wieczorek and wide.

Wieczorek was making his return between the sticks for the hosts and he remained relatively untested as the first half wore on, with the best of the efforts sailing wide from Troy Simpson & Jamie Bird.

On 19 minutes Cirencester managed to click into gear. Having struggled to get the ball wide in the opening exchanges Alan Griffin flicked the ball on to Ben Whitehead. Whitehead ran down the left wing before his cross was cleared to Griffin. The forward worked space before playing in Jack Freeman who’s shot went in despite a strong hand from Bristol Manor Farm keeper Ben John.

Ben Whitehead fired over twice before Freeman and Griffin both forced John into making crucial saves as we ticked nearer to the break. Freeman was then denied brilliantly by John right before the break, with the midfielder also striking the post minutes before the interval.

The feeling around the Corinium was that Cirencester needed to score the second goal and they did within 30 seconds of the restart. Griffin’s chipped ball down the right was leapt onto by Tommy Anderson. Anderson drove the ball into the box and the ball was swept home by Whitehead, with Freeman lurking.

Just after the hour mark Troy Simpson rattled Wieczorek’s crossbar, in the only worrying moment for the Cirencester keeper in the second half.

With twenty minutes left on the clock Ciren made it 3-0. Alan Griffin finished off a sweeping move after Whitehead’s ball across from the left. It was a deserved goal for the big man.

Griffin was then tumbled in the box from a corner and a penalty was awarded. Despite Ben John’s protests he had to face a Whitehead penalty and the Bristol Manor Farm keeper pulled off a wonderful one handed save low to his left to keep the spot kick out.

But just five minutes later John could do nothing to stop a fourth Ciren goal. After Aidan Bennett swung a ball in from the left, the goal bound effort was turned in at the back post by Griffin for his second. At the time it looked like the goal was Bennett’s but after speaking to the striker after the game, he said the goal was “definitely his.”

Whitehead grabbed his second and rounded off a comfortable afternoon in the end for Cirencester when he backheeled in Jordan Morris’ driven ball across from the left.

Cirencester Town kick off 2019 with a trip to Mangotsfield United on New Year’s Day before they welcome Melksham Town to the Corinium Stadium on Saturday 5th January. 

Cirencester Town: Wieczorek, Christoper, Spalding, Pook, Albert, Freeman (Ouldridge 80′), Anderson (Windsor 75′), Connolly, Griffin (Morris 80′), Whitehead, Bennett

Subs Not Used: Dunton, Mortimer-Jones

Bristol Manor Farm: John, Adams, Robbins, Lock, Mills, Lam (Russell 60′), Kingston, Durrant (Tovey), Bird, Metters (Lacey), Simpson

Subs Not Used: Fisher, Kingdon

Severn Sport Man Of The Match – Aidan Bennett (Cirencester Town)